Electric Blue CONVICT

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
thats weird bc my male b and female pink con fry turned out all b cons and only the females have the blue on their mouth and gill plates

Natural_Born_Killer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2008
Netherlands
IS that the type of mix you would normally get from an HRP & Con?

I find it a beautiful fish...

Toby_H

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I have nothing but respect for Jonathan / TheFishGuy…

But since all of the fish used in this breeding project were aquarium strain “Convicts”…
And since the term “Convict” itself is a generic term that several species may fall into…
And HRPs are often misplaced into that category…
How can we thoroughly conclude that this fish does not contain any HRP blood?

I do not agree with titling this fish “Electric Blue” as it is the result of line breeding (hybrid or not) and not a genetic mutation (such as the common Electric Blue Dempsey or the new Electric Blue Rams)…

But that’s just my opinion which is worth no more than his… so whose to say…

Sab_Fan;3289243; said:
I have a female convict in with my EBJD . . . should they ever happen to breed, I wonder if that would get me an Electric Blue Convict?
Nope... Blue Dempseys follow the pattern of Mendelian genetics...

You would have a Convict/Dempsey hybrid that is theoretically heterozygous for Blue coloration...

Although the likelihood is extremely small of both DNA structures being the exact same in both species so that the exact same mutation would affect each species (and therefore their hybrid) in the exact same way...

So chances are (without testing we cannot be 100% sure) the Blue mutation would be lost in the case of a Blue Dempsey hybrid...

KevinO;3289315; said:
I wonder what would come of breeding that fish with a white convict. A white convict with blue fins and stripes?
A White Convict is possibly an Albino (rare) but most likely Leucistic (fairly common)…

Since this fish is the result of a Leucistic x Standard pair, then it is likely Heterozygous for Leucism… and therefore 50% of it’s offspring would be Leucistic if it were to spawn with a Leucistic “Convict”.

But as we see in our common Leucistic Convicts, the faint Blue common to Convicts does not show through… therefore we should not expect this stronger affect of the same coloration to come through either…

Mendelian genetics is a very well understood process of passing genetics. As with all genetics, there are numerous details that must be taken into account so it is difficult to make 100% absolute predictions without thorough testing… but there are logical conclusions that can be drawn…

Citrinellus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2008
Since, some of you were offended. When i said lying, I assumed he wouldn't be, considering the length of the post he wrote with the info he provided and that he is a mod. After hearing what you say about him, he sounds very creditable. But, I'm still skeptical that there is no hrp genes in that fish.

Aqualoon

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2009
Minnesota
Midas Madness;3290927; said:
Since, some of you were offended. When i said lying, I assumed he wouldn't be, considering the length of the post he wrote with the info he provided and that he is a mod. After hearing what you say about him, he sounds very creditable. But, I'm still skeptical that there is no hrp genes in that fish.
For the record I wasn't offended, I gathered from your responses that you haven't interacted with him before so I just wanted to let my impressions of him be known here.

b show

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2009
newton ia, 50208
I've seen F1 cons with blue on them, not that much. If he had line breed them he probally found the bluest ones he could find and kept breeding them until he got that. Or just a oddball fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store