Electric Blue Crayfish Behavior- is this normal?

DirtyPaws949

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2015
Newport Beach
So weird. I haven’t been seeing them do it nearly as much. My fav white river cray will hang out up top, but usually it’s so I’ll feed her. She’s picky too... will grab things, nibble them, drop them and look at me like, “what else ya got?”
The behavior reminded me of fish when their water becomes oxygen-deprived, gasping at the surface because that’s where the gas exchange occurs so it’s more concentrated o2. Hanging onto the plants would make sense so they wouldn’t expend oxygen/energy. The behavior decreasing after adding/fixing equipment to boost surface agitation and oxygen seems to support my hypothesis.

If anything, the temp is a little warm for crays, I try to keep it at 80F, but the temp fluctuates since the tank is outside... sometimes gets up to mid 80s in the daytime. I’d say 79-83 is average temp.

with the plants floating at the top and the equipment/lining, I’m glad they don

Bubbles2112

Candiru
MFK Member
May 10, 2009
North Carolina
I know this is an older post but anytime I have seen this by more than one or two crays, it is usually an issue of not enough oxygen or the result of a very aggressive fish. I have had some crays that just like to sit on the top plants for a time.

DirtyPaws949

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2015
Newport Beach
I know this is an older post but anytime I have seen this by more than one or two crays, it is usually an issue of not enough oxygen or the result of a very aggressive fish. I have had some crays that just like to sit on the top plants for a time.
Yes ??
Oxygen was deduced as the issue. And no worries at all for older post, I’m sure others will find it useful since it will be forever on the internet now ?
HOB filter and sponge filter/ bubbler has caused enough surface agitation and they are not as keen on hanging out at the surface.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Well I missed this too. Bubbles2112 Bubbles2112 thanks for the bump so I could see this beautiful pond.

I raise crays for puffer chow....I know barbaric. I also raise a few different snails giant rams horns, regular rams horns, and bladder snails. I tried to put guppies in with my fahaka just after I got him but he killed both males. I put the three females in with the crays. When I got the crays they accidentally bagged up two male endlers which have now bred with the female guppies. If the crayfish eat the guppies it's not hurting the population any. I have hundreds of guppies now, and of course the fahaka won't touch them now.

DirtyPaws949 DirtyPaws949 very nice set up! I'm glad you figured out the issue. I would have and did think when I first read this may be they are eating the duck weed. Mine destroy any plants I try to put in. Crays also like to explore so if they can get out they probably will. O2 was also on my mind. As for aggression I have a big male that will fight with anything he comes in contact with and if it can't get away from him he will either kill it or "mate" with it. He has been removed from gen pop and yes he fought me as well, luckily I escaped. For the most part if there is enough space and hides they get along fine. I have noticed though they will catch and eat the young. I'm not sure if it's just the males that do that or the females also. I have crushed coral as substrate and I am on a well that has very hard water. I also have had a couple crays die from bad molts, not many but a couple. Not sure on the fix for that. I've read that besides the obvious calcium, carbonate depletion it is also linked to a lack of protein in their diets. I, like you, feed a variety of foods. I increased the feedings of things like carnivore pellets and chopped tilapia. I hadn't lost any more to bad molt for quite a while, but appears last week I may have lost one.

Sorry to go on and on on the subject especially since you've already fixed the issue. Would love to see some update on this!

Well I missed this too. Bubbles2112 Bubbles2112 thanks for the bump so I could see this beautiful pond.

I raise crays for puffer chow....I know barbaric. I also raise a few different snails giant rams horns, regular rams horns, and bladder snails. I tried to put guppies in with my fahaka just after I got him but he killed both males. I put the three females in with the crays. When I got the crays they accidentally bagged up two male endlers which have now bred with the female guppies. If the crayfish eat the guppies it's not hurting the population any. I have hundreds of guppies now, and of course the fahaka won't touch them now.

DirtyPaws949 DirtyPaws949 very nice set up! I'm glad you figured out the issue. I would have and did think when I first read this may be they are eating the duck weed. Mine destroy any plants I try to put in. Crays also like to explore so if they can get out they probably will. O2 was also on my mind. As for aggression I have a big male that will fight with anything he comes in contact with and if it can't get away from him he will either kill it or "mate" with it. He has been removed from gen pop and yes he fought me as well, luckily I escaped. For the most part if there is enough space and hides they get along fine. I have noticed though they will catch and eat the young. I'm not sure if it's just the males that do that or the females also. I have crushed coral as substrate and I am on a well that has very hard water. I also have had a couple crays die from bad molts, not many but a couple. Not sure on the fix for that. I've read that besides the obvious calcium, carbonate depletion it is also linked to a lack of protein in their diets. I, like you, feed a variety of foods. I increased the feedings of things like carnivore pellets and chopped tilapia. I hadn't lost any more to bad molt for quite a while, but appears last week I may have lost one.

Sorry to go on and on on the subject especially since you've already fixed the issue. Would love to see some update on this!
Females do eat young once they get to a certain size, even their own. If not they start to become territorial towards them within weeks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store