Electric blue jack Dempsey @ petco

Americancichlids

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2015
I found these little guys for $19 at Petco along with electric acars. They look amazing but I don't think it's a good idea to get one because I've heard how easily they die at this size. But would love to have a nice lookin one sometime

IMG_7281.jpg

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
Cool! Didn't know they ever carried them. You can have my 6" one, looking to rehome anyways =P

YankeeJack

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2013
USA
Sometimes the local stores make arrangements with local breeders. I always worry about buying fish from the chain stores .... always seem to bring in a case of ICH. When I do, I isolate for a loooong time.

MP_cichlid

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2015
Connecticut
where is this? I saw little ebjds at my petco just the other day that literally look just like that. Where are you located?

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
I just got an Electric Blue Acara from Petco for $6 yesterday. I asked the girl how much for the acara she said "which one" I pointed to the acara. she said those are rams they are $6. I said "those are actually EB acara you shure on the price"? She said "we only carry electric blue rams and and dempseys and those aren't dempsy's." I was like ok I will take one. I even tried to make it right at the register when the girl asked what kind of fish it was. I told her acara but the girl bagged it as a ram. She shrugged her shoulders and rang it up as a ram.

Life Liberty Cichlids

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2015
Colorado
I just had the same thing happen buying my kenyi, I tried to tell them it was a kenyi and she assured me that their labels are correct and that it was an "assorted african". Whatever, I'll keep my extra $10 lol. On the note of the electric blue dempseys, I've had 3 in different tank builds and none of them were as resilient as the cichlids they were with.

Manu8__too

Aimara
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2013
I love when "Big Chain" pet stores mislabel fish and then try to elucidate the confusion by feeding us a bunch of made up bs. I just picked up a really nice 3" ZZ Flowerhorn that I'm going to grow out in a spare 29G. He was in the "Assorted African Cichlids" tank for $6.99. One of the advantageous things about being in the hobby for a long time is that you can take advantage of the "steal deals" at the expense of the inexperienced/novice store employees. On the contrary, beginner hobbyists often pay uber-high prices for low quality fish, simply because they don't know any better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store