Electric Fish for a 29 gallon?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Are there any Electric Fish (Knifefish, Mormyrids) that can be comfortably kept in a 29 gallon aquarium?
You can keep smaller Gymnotus in their like javari. The water would need to be soft and acidic. Smaller morymids can work as well, baby whale, marcusenius brachyistius.

Reactions: tlindsey

NOTORIOUS KEK

Feeder Fish
Aug 9, 2019
You can keep smaller Gymnotus in their like javari. The water would need to be soft and acidic. Smaller morymids can work as well, baby whale, marcusenius brachyistius.
Alright, thanks! Do you know about the care of the baby whale, by chance? I learnt of it about 2 days ago but almost every topic on it that isn't about whale sharks is people asking how to take care of them. And do you have any recommendations on care for G. Javari?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Alright, thanks! Do you know about the care of the baby whale, by chance? I learnt of it about 2 days ago but almost every topic on it that isn't about whale sharks is people asking how to take care of them. And do you have any recommendations on care for G. Javari?
Gymnotus javari will need a cave or something to hide in. Will take most prepared foods. No aggressive tankmates. No small fish as it’ll get nipped on. Need soft acidic water.

Baby whales need clean water and usually do well in a group. Wouldn’t add any smaller fish or aggressive fish. Should take most smaller prepared foods. Sometimes they are difficult to feed.

NOTORIOUS KEK

Feeder Fish
Aug 9, 2019
Gymnotus javari will need a cave or something to hide in. Will take most prepared foods. No aggressive tankmates. No small fish as it’ll get nipped on. Need soft acidic water.

Baby whales need clean water and usually do well in a group. Wouldn’t add any smaller fish or aggressive fish. Should take most smaller prepared foods. Sometimes they are difficult to feed.
Alright, cool! I'm assuming that Gymnotus, like other knifefish, prefers to be alone? And what size of a group would be preferable for baby whales?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Alright, cool! I'm assuming that Gymnotus, like other knifefish, prefers to be alone? And what size of a group would be preferable for baby whales?
Gymnotus should be alone.

Group of 5-6 for the baby whales.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store