Electric?

cjohll

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2007
S/W Wisconsin
I was using my cheap Circuit Alert tester today to check an outlet and after i was done i went by my aquarium and i will go off when placed near the glass. Is this normal?

Mr. Grumpy Gills

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2009
nebraska
check your heater. if it is broke, it could be putting electricityinto your tank. unplug it and pull it out of your tank and check for cracks and internal moisture. if there is any you should replace. If there was a crack in the heater's glass it could send 120 volts through you just by placing your hand in the tank.
GL

crisper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2008
over there boi
It could be stray currents from a faulty heater or powerhead. Remove any current carrying equipment one piece at a time and then test again. This should be able to determine if any of your equipment is faulty. Carefull with putting your hands in the tank untill your sure you have elimanated the source of current.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Are you getting the tester near the fluorescent light? This tester is probably an inductance tester and you can also make it go off by moving it across your arm, sofa, rug some will even go off if you move it quick enough though the air.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store