Eliminating need to gravel vac?

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I use a reverse undergravel filter and Malaysian Trumpet snails with a playsand and lava rock substrate in an understocked low tech planted rainbow tank. My numbers stick close to straight zeros and I don't gravelvac (whenever I feel like it, 1-2 months) or WC (50% every 2-3 weeks) much. I also have a flying fox who plays in the top layer of sand.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Ah thanks for clearing it up :)

convict360 convict360 has a small one with RCS actually
I did have recently kind of, but I didn't do it properly and messed it up; I've since added a nano filter again. I think it's a good method though, I read Diana Walstad's journals a while back; plenty of people do it using garden soil bought in garden centres etc

Reactions: dan518 and Hendre

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Read @RD probiotic sticky then increase flow... i havent gravel vac'd in almost 2 years
This is for your tanks that is that red flint gravel right? I tried the probiotics but i always ended up with the dust that in a bare bottom looks like a mess.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
This is for your tanks that is that red flint gravel right? I tried the probiotics but i always ended up with the dust that in a bare bottom looks like a mess.
Premix it in a jug, if it's the powder from the probiotic

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Hendre Hendre What I started doing was pre-mixing in a cup and then I would pour it into a fine filter sock hanging in my tank (no sump). Still always get debris into the tank. Considering my light load of only 1 fish in a 180g, bare bottom, and that I feed food size that my aimara eats whole I am guessing I need this much less than folks that over stock :)

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Hendre Hendre What I started doing was pre-mixing in a cup and then I would pour it into a fine filter sock hanging in my tank (no sump). Still always get debris into the tank. Considering my light load of only 1 fish in a 180g, bare bottom, and that I feed food size that my aimara eats whole I am guessing I need this much less than folks that over stock :)
Put it in your filter. It will work is way into your substrate.

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
I use pool filter sand, excellent circulation, and hoplo cats. I have zero detritus to siphon out with a gravel vac. All the crud gets caught either in my filter socks or the mechanical area of my canister filters.

Reactions: J. H. and jaws7777

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Eliminating gravel = eliminating gravel vac.

I use sand, most of the gunk sits on top of it so it's easy to suck up with a siphon (I use a long length of PVC on a flexible hose). Even with Geophagus you still need to stir it occasionally, I had 12 adult altifrons in a 6x3' footprint tank and they kept the top layer regularly turned over, but the deeper parts still need to be disturbed occasionally.

Reactions: J. H. and Hendre
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store