Elkindo Red Arowana

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Also he only eat super worm, what u feeding on ur? And any trick to teach em to eat shrimp?
Best to start your own thread Babjdevil, I don't want to overly derail OP's post, which is to show off his nice fish (like many of us do :) But I will say real quick that imho only super worm is not good (too much fat, which is believed by many to contribute to drop eye and other health issues), they're best as an occassional treat, not a daily staple. Also check out this post:

Most Aros love shrimp -- but you can try different types. My BBXB loves red shrimp but not white fish shrimp lol. If any further queries or replies along these lines, again please make your own post :)

Last edited:

Leo Messi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
Switzerland
Btw, not sure you can get where you are (maybe can order online) but Xian Long makes some lights which they claim can color your fish properly but don't make the whole tank and other fish look pink/red:
There is no LED light that produces UVA & UVB. So those lights are pure crap, like many others. T5 & T8 can produce UVA & UVB, but LED can't.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
There is no LED light that produces UVA & UVB. So those lights are pure crap, like many others. T5 & T8 can produce UVA & UVB, but LED can't.
Sorry bro but this simply isn't true -- even older LED's emit a (very minimal) amount of UV (though not enough to have any tanning effect).

However, in the last couple of years high-tech lighting manufactures have made big strides in the development of UV LED's. Check out this place selling them:
"Ultraviolet electromagnetic radiation, commonly known as UV, is currently employed in many industries and applications. The emerging UV LEDs will be an enabling, competitive technology that drives new and innovative applications. UV-LEDs have a long operating life and are more environmentally friendly than traditional mercury UV lamps."

And here's a recent study about effects of UV-A LEDs on the growth and accumulation of phytochemicals in kale. Ok it's about plants not fish but it still proves there are such things as UV LEDs: https://www.mouser.com/ultraviolet_leds/

All of that said, I cannot attest to the veracity of Xian Long's claims, nor do I know if they're using this newer technology (they claim their lights are "double role Taiwan LED bulbs" -- whether this is some newer LED technology or maybe even possibly their lights have a combo LED and UV chipset -- which are out there too -- I really don't know.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Sorry for the study about UV-A LEDs and kale I put the wrong link:

As a footnote I am not promoting the use of tanning lights (esp. with golds), I personally don't use them and was just putting the info out there for others to consider.

Leo Messi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
Switzerland
Sorry bro but this simply isn't true -- even older LED's emit a (very minimal) amount of UV (though not enough to have any tanning effect).

However, in the last couple of years high-tech lighting manufactures have made big strides in the development of UV LED's. Check out this place selling them:
"Ultraviolet electromagnetic radiation, commonly known as UV, is currently employed in many industries and applications. The emerging UV LEDs will be an enabling, competitive technology that drives new and innovative applications. UV-LEDs have a long operating life and are more environmentally friendly than traditional mercury UV lamps."

And here's a recent study about effects of UV-A LEDs on the growth and accumulation of phytochemicals in kale. Ok it's about plants not fish but it still proves there are such things as UV LEDs: https://www.mouser.com/ultraviolet_leds/

All of that said, I cannot attest to the veracity of Xian Long's claims, nor do I know if they're using this newer technology (they claim their lights are "double role Taiwan LED bulbs" -- whether this is some newer LED technology or maybe even possibly their lights have a combo LED and UV chipset -- which are out there too -- I really don't know.
Oh my, the more you learn... thanks a lot! Really didn't know that though.

But I'm totally with you. Golden Arowanas do definitely not need any tanning. A WTT can speed up the crossing of the fish but other than that you really can't do much with a Golden Aro. Although I do believe that they look better when they are exposed to sunlight. When you look at some high grade Bluebase breeder fish that are obviously living in the ponds outside, being exposed to the sun... they're looking much better than their offspring that are living in an aquarium. But that could have other factors too, such as muddy water etc.

I have personally seen some high grade Bluebase Arowanas in person that have no light at all in the tank and no sunlight either. Just room light. And they are crazy nice, so... it comes down to genetics.

Same goes for Reds in my opinion. My friend has a high grade Red that has never been tanned (he's had that Aro since ~18cm) and never seen sunlight in his tank. Now at 30cm he's already extremely Red. Nothing special, no tanning lamps... nothing, just plain & simple 6500k white LEDs. Again, it comes down to genetics.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Oh my, the more you learn... thanks a lot! Really didn't know that though.

But I'm totally with you. Golden Arowanas do definitely not need any tanning. A WTT can speed up the crossing of the fish but other than that you really can't do much with a Golden Aro. Although I do believe that they look better when they are exposed to sunlight. When you look at some high grade Bluebase breeder fish that are obviously living in the ponds outside, being exposed to the sun... they're looking much better than their offspring that are living in an aquarium. But that could have other factors too, such as muddy water etc.

I have personally seen some high grade Bluebase Arowanas in person that have no light at all in the tank and no sunlight either. Just room light. And they are crazy nice, so... it comes down to genetics.

Same goes for Reds in my opinion. My friend has a high grade Red that has never been tanned (he's had that Aro since ~18cm) and never seen sunlight in his tank. Now at 30cm he's already extremely Red. Nothing special, no tanning lamps... nothing, just plain & simple 6500k white LEDs. Again, it comes down to genetics.
To be honest Leo my friend I also thought LED's don't emit UV (because everyone said so) but a little research showed that technically we're all kind of wrong :) Though for practical purposes I understand what you say, with most LED's one is not going to get any noticeable tanning affect at all. New technology seems to be changing that though.

Also like you say, I agree Aros can benefit from a bit of UVA/UVB (either from sun or artificially) now and then, there's simply no need for that crazy 24/7 stuff, which I'm sure we would both agree is on the cruel side.

Interesting point about BBXB -- when I bought mine I asked the (longtime) dealer which lights were best for Blue Base -- his response: no lights -- just ambient light from the room and if the tank could get about 30-45 min. of sun light that would be nice too but no absolutely necessary. So my BBXB has been under pretty low lighting (6500K white LEDs) for about a year now, and she's arguably more colorful that my GHXB in a brighter tank -- like you said it's genetics.

achintha

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2020
i want to buy a second red arowana do you think with proper care he can turn to a blood red arowana

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store