Elopichthys Bambusa Growout

sunnysjourney

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
US
I got 3 of these guys back in march from Wes @ Rare fish, they were tiny! I used to call them the 'worlds most expensive minnows' lol:

Unfortunately I had to sell them off (busy at work and I didn't have time to take care of them). But later I got 3 more in June, from the same batch but they were bigger and (almost) pellet trained. They were all about 5"...

Now comes the bitter sweet part: One of the guys I got died randomly, didn't know why or what happend. It didn't have any visible injuries. Went to feed them one day and I found it stuck to the powerhead.

And I noticed a small 'blood clot' on another guy (zoom in and see the tiny mark near his pelvic fin):

I didn't think much of it first, but the blood clot got bigger, his stomach started swelling up and he was toast as well :(. Again, I don't know what caused the clot.

But I still had 1 guy, he has been a champ and growing FAST (knock on wood). Here are a few pics of him and his GATF tankmate:

A video of him (shot on july 11th), around the same length as the GATF:

And here is a comparison video of him, Top: May 15th 2016, Bottom: August 22nd 2016.

And now is a good 2" bigger than the GATF (still at 7"). The tank is a 135 with a sump. Filtration consists of ceramic rings, lava rock, bio balls and some plants (in the sump). I have 1 Vortech MP 40 as a powerhead and my return pump is a jebao DCT 12000. And his diet consists of massivores.

Last edited:

sunnysjourney

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
US
Since there aren't a lot of people keeping these guys, I figured I'd do a small writeup on their behavior:

Temperature:

Initially when I got them I had them in a heater-less 20 gallon long, the tank temp was at 65 degrees (18.3 C) and they were fine. But since June, I have had them in my 135, the temperature was at a constant 84 degrees (29 C). And obviously, they grow a lot faster when the temperature is high.

Temperament:
- Extremely skittish.
- Aggressive eaters.
- Won't bother other fish if they don't fit into their mouths.

Feeding:
No problems at all, I used to feed them cut tilapia initially. But later switched them over to massivores. It did take a day or two to convert them over but thats about it. But again, Wes had done a great job of getting them on cut fish before I got them.

And they seem to love strong flow. My 135 has about 45x turnover, my bambusa, the GATF and my tiger sheep pacus all love to just hover in front of the powerhead.

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Great pictures, video and write-up. Looks very healthy.

Reactions: sunnysjourney

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Remember with this fish feeding 2 or more smaller meals a day, rather than 1 big one for optimum health
I would think 2 smaller meals allow for better digestion and less risk of bloating. I feed my pink tail a few pellets in the morning and he eats a ridiculous amount of BW, he is growing like a rocket. We need an expert on this

Reactions: sunnysjourney
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store