Emergency fish move help

Stang1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2006
DC metro area
A buddy of mine who has been winning a battle with cancer for the last 3 years recently was given less then 6 days to live. I had given him my 55 since I figured it would help (which is another thread in itself), to make a long story short his wishes are for his sister and her family in SC to have his fish . It's roughly about a 8 hour drive from DC so I was wondering what would be our best bet to get the fish down there?

pacu girl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
westbury ny
well im going to assume that since its a 55 gallon, the fish arent that big. what you can do is buy a couple of food safe rubbermaid bins, the ones that you use to store all your excess stuff. target and home depot would have them. make sure you get the ones with the snap on lids. buy a battery operated air pump and connect them the tanks, just stick them in through the top. the fish will be in the dark so it will help a bit they are known to be less restless when in the dark. just move them that way. it works my friends did it and they went from va to cali or something. its safe because the lid snaps down so you dont have to worry about the fish escaping and youre giving them oxygen so they should be ok. if you want get to your lfs and try to get hold of polyaqua its a fish protector and its used to ease the fish in transport it also helps to build their slime coat and better their immune system its like a fish sedator. you can use it and they will be much calmer during the move.
as far as the tank goes try to empty the water out down to right above the gravel line. this way you can keep the beneficial bacteria alive so that hopefully the tank doesnt re- cycle once it gets to its desired destination. if you have any more questions pm me.

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
Dont move the tank with the gravel in it put it in a bucket with enough water to keep it wet.Dont know what kind of filter but if biowheels or some biomedia flot it in the tub with the fish.In any case keep the gravel and filter media wet with tank water.

dacox

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2005
Illinois
gomezladdams said:
Dont move the tank with the gravel in it put it in a bucket with enough water to keep it wet.Dont know what kind of filter but if biowheels or some biomedia flot it in the tub with the fish.In any case keep the gravel and filter media wet with tank water.
I agree. Take the gravel out of the tank but keep it wet.

Stang1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2006
DC metro area
Thanks to all who responded.....thats now one less thing to worry about during these difficult times

Super G

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2006
Detroit
I am so sorry to hear about your friend. I haved sucessfully moved my 55 gal 6 hrs by draining half the water and taking out any big rocks that could do damage to the glass. I always leave the fish in. A battery powered airpump would help though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store