Emp.400 alternative filters...?

cuda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Ohio
I have 2 emp. 400 filters. One for each of my 55 gal. aquariums. Is there any less expensive alternatives of filters to put in them. I use the plastic media cartdridges and put charcoal stuff for them and sometimes Ammo chips for them. One of the emps. only has one plastic media cartridge though.

Are there any of alternatives to using the filter cartridges that you buy at the store? They are the most expensive filter cartridges at all the LPS's I go to. I was thinking maybe buying some less expensive ones and customizing them to fit in my emps. I would normally buy them, I'm needing to save some money up.

AnDr3w

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2006
Davie, FL
Keep the frames of them, buy activated carbon, and buy filter floss. Rip all of the blue stuff off of the old cartridges. Then fill the frame with carbon. Put together with filter floss on the back to keep everything in.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
AnDr3w;769182; said:
Keep the frames of them, buy activated carbon, and buy filter floss. Rip all of the blue stuff off of the old cartridges. Then fill the frame with carbon. Put together with filter floss on the back to keep everything in.
Ya this is what I do , I just buy bulk filter floss. Cut it so it is larger than the frame wrap the edge around it and slide it in. I don't use the carbon though If you do weekly water changes ya really don't need it. It is only good for removing medications.

dodgefreak8

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2005
colorado
I buy the poly batting you get at walmart and cut it to fit the cartridge. I wrap rubberbands around it and ditch the carbon. you don't need it anyway.

ChileRelleno

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2005
Mobile, AL
Either reuse old cartridges or buy new re-usable as posted above.

Screw all the other medias, go with the best!
Buy bulk 'Blue Bonded Pads' or 'Poly Filter' and cut'em to fit the cartridges.
Then you can boost media capacity by inserting more media beween them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store