Endli Feeding Troubles

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Thanks guys.

It’s not looking good for keeping it at this point. As J jaws7777 mentioned, the vultures are even more active at night and grab food rapidly. I have tried to target feed it a bit by dropping pellets to the corner where it sits, but the catfish figured that out real quick and know to check that spot for food whenever the top is open.

J jaws7777 I do feed quite a bit. Every three days I feed about 2-3 oz of frozen food, nine night crawlers, and a total of 30 Massivore pellets. Lol. The bass have become much more aggressive eaters and don’t care at all to grab food away from the eels. The catfish, obviously, eat insane amounts. They easily average 10 pellets each when I feed them and often grab some of frozen foods as well.
Try doing some of the things other suggested before you give in. Werent you thinking about rehoming the vultures ?

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
for some reason, my endi goes crazy for live medium bull frogs.... the moment i dump them in the tank... the endi start going crazy searching for it all around the tank

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
for some reason, my endi goes crazy for live medium bull frogs.... the moment i dump them in the tank... the endi start going crazy searching for it all around the tank
That seems like fun. Does he catch them easily ?

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
That seems like fun. Does he catch them easily ?
i only seen them catch when the frogs swim underwater and usually swallowed whole... for the frogs that swims along the top or resting on the pothos, i never seen them caught them...... BUT i could never find any frogs left the next day

Reactions: jaws7777

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
You have a very difficult feeding situation that may result in either the Endli will possibly starve or start to attack fish because it will be hungry. I totally agree with Polyaddict86 Polyaddict86 about dropping food with lights out but with the fast active catfish as J jaws7777 stated even with lights off food will be gone before Endli could get to it. I once had the same problem while having Cichlids and other fast fish poly tankmates. Now only a Datnoid and a few SD's are in the aquarium which makes it a little easier for the Polypterus to get food.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
i had a similar problem i just dump bigger pieces of food so that those fast eaters mouth will be filled up... i also throw the least fav endi food first so make the other fishes full before feeding what the endi love most
I never thought of that, but that is a good idea. I’m almost out of my frozen mix so next time I make it I will cut bigger chunks to try to keep the eels mouths full. It might work for the catfish and the bass, but I’ll have to wait and see with them.

Lol, trying to feed the rest of the fish to the point they are all full would be like trying to shovel enough dirt into a bottomless pit that it is filled up. The vultures will probably eat until their stomachs explode, the eels are probably capable of eating 5-6 oz of food each. The bass are not eating a ton right now but their appetite has been increasing rapidly. The endli will eat a ton of food too, but just can’t get to it.

Last edited:

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Try doing some of the things other suggested before you give in. Werent you thinking about rehoming the vultures ?
I was considering rehoming one of them because it was getting bullied, but the bullying has subsided, so I was going to try to keep them for now.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Id try the tongs. Make some tilapia/pellet meatballs. It might take a few attempts for him to get used to it but that should work. I had an L600 that i was forced to do this with

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store