Endli not eating

robroy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
BC, Canada
:( :( My WC Nigerian Endli hasn't eaten for 2 weeks now. I got it early April at 6" and its now 9"+. It used to eat great but would only take raw tiger prawns.
For no reason its stopped eating and is thinning as a result. There are no marks on it, colour/markings fine and no sign of fin damage. It has its normal activity level too. Nothing bothers it (its the biggest fish in the tank).
Parameters are fine and haven't changed since I got it-the other Polys (Del, Senagal & Buett.) all eat fine.

My concern is remembering a recent post (by 'Keeper of the Ropes') on losing WC Nigerians after 1-2 months and wonder if mine is doomed to the same fate. Or do Endlis do this from time to time? Other than it being skinnier than normal you wouldn't know anythings wrong.

Any help or suggestions really appreciated
ROB

B.K.

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2007
GE
I've got a lap like this too. Stopped eating for nearly 4mths already. Some others did go on a fasting too but had already broke out of it.

marvinbaker

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 1, 2006
canterbury
the one's i go from the same batch are all still reasonably thin and growing pretty slowly but still eating and pretty lively for endli's. I would just make sure you're getting enough food to them before the others take it all to give them the best chance of eating.

I wouldn't panic just yet, some of my endli's (i'm up to 9 now! :D ) i've never seen eat but i've never lost one (fingers crossed!). they seem to be able to go a long time without feeding but if i get a bit worried i just feed plenty and turn out the lights and i'm sure they eat then.

Keeper of the Ropes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2006
Texas
Good luck... the fish is absolutely beautiful (saw it in another post of yours) and looks a good deal like the ones I lost. Just remember that there is only just so much you can do - if you've provided room, a clean tank, hiding places, safe and healthy water and met all the other bichir needs, and maybe whispered a few prayers or wishes, you've done all you can. You can not force feed a fish - all you can do is cross your fingers and hope for the very best. Which I will do for you as well :)

Jessie*

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store