Enigmatochromis lucanusi

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
Does anyone have experience with this little West African cichlid? I've been growing out a couple small ones that I got. They're about 1.5" or so now. Their water parameters are similar to South American cichlids but they seem to prefer temps in the low to mid 70s according to what little info I've found online. Does anyone know what their max temp would be?

I ask because I've considered putting them in a 55 gallon grow-out with my Dicrossus foirni. The foirni are slightly larger so I don't think aggression would be an issue. Neither species seems aggressive. I do have a problem with the lucanusi chasing each other all over their current tank so I thought the tank size upgrade would be a good idea.

Suggestions? Foreseeable problems? I'm kind of learning with these guys as I go. I was told to treat them like kribs but I know that some people have said they're a bit more sensitive than that.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
I'm guessing this isn't a very popular little fish considering I've never gotten a reply. ;)

Either the maximum stated size online is wrong or all my E. lucanusi are stunted. I've got three females and two males. The two males are barely 2" and the females are smaller at maybe 1.5" or so. One of the males and two of the females are wild-caught, the other male and female are tank-bred. I've read they need very soft water to spawn but that doesn't appear to be the case -- my tank-bred female went purple this week and is flirting heavily with my wild male. They've been chasing other fish away from a clay cave for a couple weeks now but tonight her tube is actually down. We'll see if they manage to spawn or hatch eggs in tap water.

This is one of the prettiest krib-types I've kept. The males have a nice yellow throat and chest when they mature and the females turn dark purple with a bright iridescent teal dorsal fin.

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
I'd be more than happy to compare notes if I ever get a hold of them. I want to, they are very high on my list for next when I get the extra tanks out of storage.

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
In regards to temp, a presentation at the GSAS by Ted Judy mentioned something I found very intriguing ... he said in the wild, he has never caught a member of the Chromidotilapiini tribe above 74F. Blew my mind. I rewatched this since I was planning on ordering some soon and thought I'd add to this, though I'm not sure if you still have them Ryan.

Reactions: tlindsey

Certified Brackifide!

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 29, 2017
Beantown, MASS
Does anyone have experience with this little West African cichlid? I've been growing out a couple small ones that I got. They're about 1.5" or so now. Their water parameters are similar to South American cichlids but they seem to prefer temps in the low to mid 70s according to what little info I've found online. Does anyone know what their max temp would be?

I ask because I've considered putting them in a 55 gallon grow-out with my Dicrossus foirni. The foirni are slightly larger so I don't think aggression would be an issue. Neither species seems aggressive. I do have a problem with the lucanusi chasing each other all over their current tank so I thought the tank size upgrade would be a good idea.

Suggestions? Foreseeable problems? I'm kind of learning with these guys as I go. I was told to treat them like kribs but I know that some people have said they're a bit more sensitive than that.
I had 6 and they trashed 1 female then 2 paired off and I thought they might breed but now the male of the pair is wounded pretty bad (looks like my SAP took a chunk out of him) and she's acting weird. They're both now facing off with the other big male. Not sure what to do... I don't wanna lose the pair. I could put them in a refugium, see if he pulls thru. They definitely fight amongst themselves but seem temperamental about it compared to the kribs, when the tank was less heavily stocked I'd see them all schooling together out front. Should've left it like that. I put 2 puffers in there and one didn't make it plus there's a ton of little kribs in there. They look great on their own, or maybe just some tetras or something. Way more beautiful than any krib. I've got them in a 55 quasi-paludarium with soft watet

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store