Environmental enrichment-Fahaka's

Bawb2u

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2005
MA
Does anybody else change up their tank decorations on a regular basis or am I wasting my time?
I have lots of extra driftwood, rocks and fake plants, so about every 2 weeks I remove some things, add others and generally change the tank around in pretty drastic ways. I do it on the theory that Fahaka are eerily smart fish and tend to get bored with a static setup and was just looking for other opinions on the subject. I also try feeding in different locations but since she won't wear the blindfold she's always right where the food drops, so hiding it doesn't work well. I've avoided hermaphrodite type snails up to now so they don't multiply out of control but I think I may have to go that route just to give her more hunting opportunities.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Have you considered that that constant changing and messing around in the tank might be stressfull to the fish?

I would not do it, Bawb2.

HPIZZLE

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2007
i wouldnt do it either. my oscars go crazy when i change the filter.

js97

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2008
Toronto, ON
maybe a few times a year, but not every two weeks.

and no wories about your snails getting out of control in a puffer tank. It won't happen .

J-SPOT

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2008
HAWAII
I try my best to add some plants here and there to add some color in there but i guess he has fun rippin it into shreds...lfor ex..like I got some free plants yesterday from my LFS that I always go to and stuck it in the sand....came home today from work leaves all over the tank, stuck to the filter, floating up top...and I see him come up to the tank greet me smiling even though he knew I was pissed with the plant destroyed but it's all in fun though...haha

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store