EPDM vs PVC liner

SemperFish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2007
Hubert, NC
Ive got an opportunity to get some large EPDM sheets for pretty darn cheap. Im planning on building a pond so I wanted to see what people had to say about using EPDM vs PVC liners. I would be getting a big pallet of various large pieces and possibly joining two together.
Whats the conventional wisdom out there? Im looking at a substantial savings if I go this route and then would also have some left over pieces for other projects or to sell.

Any input is appreciated.

mqktandy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2010
Iowa
Inside or outside?? Im going to guess out sense its in the outdoor section. correct me if im wrong. pvc only last a few years when exposed to UV rays. basically EPDM is better in every regard except for flexibility and price. But if you can get it cheap I would go with EPDM. I would never build a outdoor pond with PVC just because of how frail the material really is

SemperFish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2007
Hubert, NC
Good to know. Thanks. Your info goes inline with what I thought but it seems the majority of pond liners on the market are PVC for some reason - I suppose so that they can sell you another one in a couple years.

Muske

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Mundelein IL
EPDM for sure.

PVC is a good choice for X-Large ponds that will be deeper than 5' or acres in size. It's cost is lower than EPDM and it will be filled with enough water to keep UV ray penetration down. But what about the edges....

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
PVC liners are good to be used for indoor purposes, and also for things like bog filters, where most or all of the liner will be covered and protected from sunlight (UV exposure).

I used an epdm liner in my pond, but a PVC liner for my bog filter. It is filled with gravel, plants, and has wood trim on top and the sides, so very little of it, if any, is actually exposed to sunlight.

But as previously said, if you can get cheap EPDM, go for it, as it is generally superior in every way.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store