Erratic swimming

Dave62

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2018
Pacific Northwest
Is it unusual for discus to swim erratically in tight circles and sometimes sideways? I have 5 in a 110 gallon along with some Tapajos. They are all around 5-6", but this guy is the 5th wheel and get's pecked at occasionally, but has always seemed to take it ok. All have been in for around 9 months. There are two separate pairs that defend their territory. I lost one little discus a few weeks ago that was the runt and constantly picked on. Tried to remove him but was too late. Should I remove this guy before it's too late? Is he just overly stressed now because he's the odd fish out, or is the erratic swimming indicative of something else? WC daily with aged water, PH low 7's, 84/85f. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Bbuckley

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Likely stressed. These are wild discus? Still displaying this circular movement? If so I’d dose some prazipro. Recheck ur nitrates etc.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
One difficulty with discus (and sometimes also other fish) is that there is always a lowest ranking fish, which gets picked on, stresses and declines until it possibly dies. Then the next one up the ladder takes its place as the lowest ranking. It happens more when there are established 'mated pairs' in the group, who are attempting to defend areas of the tank.
The only solutions I know of are theoretical and not always possible - To have a large group in a huge tank, or to have many of them including multiple animals in different class sizes so there is never a 'smallest one', but several of them. But such solutions are hard to implement for most home aquaria.

Dave62

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2018
Pacific Northwest
The only solutions I know of are theoretical and not always possible - To have a large group in a huge tank, or to have many of them including multiple animals in different class sizes so there is never a 'smallest one', but several of them. But such solutions are hard to implement for most home aquaria.
I've heard that if you somewhat crowd them they are less likely to stake out and defend territory. I'm currently building a 75g dedicated Discus tank and will push the 1 discus per 10 gallon rule to test that theory. Maybe that will also discourage the pairs from laying eggs all the time. :headshake

Reactions: Bbuckley

30index

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2023
One difficulty with discus (and sometimes also other fish) is that there is always a lowest ranking fish, which gets picked on, stresses and declines until it possibly dies. Then the next one up the ladder takes its place as the lowest ranking. It happens more when there are established 'mated pairs' in the group, who are attempting to defend areas of the tank.
This is so helpful. I’m struggling with a similar situation. 7 discus and two are much smaller. The very smallest I pulled into quarantine yesterday to let her have some space and get some color back. Im not sure if she has something going on or if she’s stressed from being pecked.

ken31cay

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2022
Cayman Islands
This is so helpful. I’m struggling with a similar situation. 7 discus and two are much smaller. The very smallest I pulled into quarantine yesterday to let her have some space and get some color back. Im not sure if she has something going on or if she’s stressed from being pecked.
IMO good call putting the smallest one into quarantine. IME in cases like this it can work to strengthen and grow out this weak Discus awhile before putting them back in your display tank and then seeing how they do. Just make sure your quarantine tank is cycled of course.

I know that you do large daily wc but note anyway that inadequate water quality will affect the weakest fish first.

Before I started keeping Discus I thought they were just beautiful & mild-mannered fish, when in fact they can be wicked bullies who will actually peck weaker Discus to death. Like other cichlids its in their nature.

Good luck.

Reactions: Alexxxxsv14

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
I’ve come to realize that discus are huge jerks
Definitely pick on the smaller or weakest of the group. I would assume adding more would help spread the bickering. So much for a peaceful community attempt. I’m dealing with the same thing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store