Erythrinus sp. Orange

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
Still have mine in a QT tank but the orange reminds of the rainbow i received from Rapps years ago.

I've read there is either no or no known sexual dimorphism. In looking at both "species" in my tanks it seems the red/rainbows (as they were sold to me) are stockier and colorful but not nearly as colorful as the "orange" also the orange has a thinner build.

do you think there is any possibility that these different Sp's actually represent different sexes? i have nothing to base this on other than limited observations and speculation.

Reactions: Deadeye and jjohnwm

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Still have mine in a QT tank but the orange reminds of the rainbow i received from Rapps years ago.

I've read there is either no or no known sexual dimorphism. In looking at both "species" in my tanks it seems the red/rainbows (as they were sold to me) are stockier and colorful but not nearly as colorful as the "orange" also the orange has a thinner build.

do you think there is any possibility that these different Sp's actually represent different sexes? i have nothing to base this on other than limited observations and speculation.
I had the same thought - would be hard to test without being able to watch breeding occur though.
My guess is that there may be some degree of color based dimorphism, but the catch location still plays a larger role.

Reactions: CrazyPhishMan

Umbra

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
I have an orange Erythrinus I received last year - collection locale was Rio Amaya. This photo doesn't really do it justice, the body is an olive green with a fire orange lower half and an iridescent orange sheen on the dorsal surface. Excuse the glass, it's a very old tank and has a ton of scratches.

1000004160.jpg

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Wow! Cardinal Wolffish!

Reactions: Umbra

sh311dweller

Feeder Fish
Dec 30, 2022
I have an orange Erythrinus I received last year - collection locale was Rio Amaya. This photo doesn't really do it justice, the body is an olive green with a fire orange lower half and an iridescent orange sheen on the dorsal surface. Excuse the glass, it's a very old tank and has a ton of scratches.

View attachment 1511222
Oh that is STUNNING.

Reactions: Umbra

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Looking at that picture makes me ask if that is a different species? I see absolutely no extension or lengthening of the dorsal fin on that fish. My Red Wolf, even at a size of barely over 2 inches, already had a very long, flag-like dorsal fin, and it has only gotten more pronounced as he has grown. Is it perhaps just due to angle of fin in the photo?

I recall reading somewhere that the Peruvian-sourced Red Wolves were supposed to display a great deal of orange-red on the belly. This certainly fits that description, and the Rio Amaya is in Peru, so...?

Last edited:

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Good point about the fin - maybe in time it will become described as a new species.
This wolf looks amazing - reminds me of the “super red” pygocentrus nattereri that have a bright red belly.

Umbra

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Looking at that picture makes me ask if that is a different species? I see absolutely no extension or lengthening of the dorsal fin on that fish. My Red Wolf, even at a size of barely over 2 inches, already had a very long, flag-like dorsal fin, and it has only gotten more pronounced as he has grown. Is it perhaps just due to angle of fin in the photo?

I recall reading somewhere that the Peruvian-sourced Red Wolves were supposed to display a great deal of orange-red on the belly. This certainly fits that description, and the Rio Amaya is in Peru, so...?
This wolf has short fins with only a very slightly extended dorsal, much more similar to Hoplerythrinus than regular Erythrinus. It is also quite active, tends to shoal and squabble with the large Lebiasina I have in there with it. When I received it as a juvenile it was almost entirely a light orange. As it grew older the orange on the belly and right around the dorsal fin got more intense while the rest of the body became olive green. The light orange all over the young fish remains as a sheen visible at certain angles under light with it showing most prominently on the dorsal surface of the fish.

Here's a picture from when I first received it (~3")

16158.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store