Eternal MFK?

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Reminds me of that old song.

In the year 2525
If esoxlucius esoxlucius is still alive........
What a song that is, Zager and Evans. My favourite tune from the 60's.

Lol, there is absolutely no chance old esox will be alive, not even a remotely distant memory. The burning question is....will MFK still be alive? Which basically was the whole point of this thread "eternal MFK".

Reactions: Ogertron3000

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
The fact MFK is still going in the age of social media is a bit of an achievement itself.
I don't really see it surviving in its current form for 100 years but maybe it could evolve and adapt to whatever technologies are running the show in the future, it would be cool if it did. All our old posts will most likeLy survive one way or another in some old archive somewhere. What use they would be to future generations is interesting to think about, everything changes so much. Look at a cookbook from the 1950s and compare it to what you eat today and the old book just becomes a curiosity and amusing novelty.

Hopefully our posts would be seen as a time capsule of an era when fishkeepers were pushing to put the welfare of the fish first and were starting to think that the fish may not be around in the wild forever and we have a part to play in their conservation.
In the future attitudes may change so much that the whole hobby could be seen as cruel, like a zoo from the 1900s or a factory farm and we will all be seen as barbaric mistreaters of animals. Breeding a fish for profit, sticking it in a bag and flying it across the world to put in a glass box for our amusement might be seen as an outrageous thing to do to a living creature. Even just using water for such things could be seen as extremely wasteful.

Who knows, what a thought provoking thread.

Hello to anyone reading this in2320 , hopefully you can see we tried to do the best we could with what we had!

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
It is very thought provoking. If you look at it the other way round, rather than some future guys logging into our ancient chit chat, it would be like us logging into some old conversations from forums back in the 1700's or something. How cool would that be. Sadly we can't do that.

I think the saddest thing that could happen, and without doubt WILL happen, is that future guys will look back on us and think to themselves, wow, they kept so and so species back then, but in the future they couldn't keep them because they'd become extinct!

The only message i'd have for a future guy looking back on this is, "yeah, don't worry about it pal, heaters were crap back in our day too!" (Lol, a current thread regarding how often you should change your heaters as prompted that).

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
The only message i'd have for a future guy looking back on this is, "yeah, don't worry about it pal, heaters were crap back in our day too!" (Lol, a current thread regarding how often you should change your heaters as prompted that).
I think my million dollar idea is a durable heater kit.

Anyway, preservation of the internet is a hot topic. Fishkeeping is getting modern pretty quickly, but a lot of old attitudes on husbandry still persist and real concern for the environment is still only starting to grow. Fishkeeping as a mainstream hobby is still in its infancy and growing rapidly with all the information available today. I see some of this information being valuable in future, I mean some of the 10+ year old information on this site still holds up to some extent. I feel like there is a growing divide between groups of people keeping fish to care for them, and groups of people keeping fish to have a cool aquarium. A lot of my fellow, younger keepers are starting to cater much more for their fish specifically instead of trying to cram their tanks full. This attitude is more prevalent on MFK in general, luckily. I feel like a growth of this movement is better for the hobby.

The knowledge held on this forum alone is immense and easily searchable. It would be a damn shame if this was lost and people had to rely purely on other social media for learning.

Reactions: deeda and jjohnwm

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Imagine future generations of fish keepers basing their information off of fishhead0103666 fishhead0103666 . We in trouble

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Imagine future generations of fish keepers basing their information off of fishhead0103666 fishhead0103666 . We in trouble
What about my posts pre-2018? :nilly:

• Haha
Reactions: Lepisosteus

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Aww come on, that's a bit unfair. We all know what a HUGE pratt he was when he first joined, but he's improved immeasurably, he's just a LITTLE pratt now!:ROFL:

• Haha

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
What about my posts pre-2018? :nilly:
........and post 2018!!! Lol. You're a mod, I bet with your privileges you've sneakily deleted a few of your more cringeworthy efforts!:grinyes:

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Aww come on, that's a bit unfair. We all know what a HUGE pratt he was when he first joined, but he's improved immeasurably, he's just a LITTLE pratt now!:ROFL:
Yeah, just think...at his current rate...in 2000 years he will have over ten million posts!!!

The horror...the horror...:WHOA:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store