Ever ask yourself why?

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
It's always been a fish vs. maintenance issue for me.

I love having lots of fish but hate the maintenance of them...In fact I'm planning on shutting down my mini outdoor pond in a few hours. I also have an empty 5 gallon(no fish) in the garage that's on my list on taking down.

During my high in the 90's I had 26 tanks and didn't mind spending the time on them but it's much harder on me now with just 5(counting the pond).

Reactions: GamerChick5567

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; An answer may be fairly simple. You appear to have too much of something in your setups. Too much fish in the tanks which require too many water changes or other chores perhaps. I have been at it over 50 years and have gone thru periods of too many and too much. I have also gone thru periods of only one small tank when jobs and other circumstances force the issue.
I am currently running four tanks with very light stocking compared to my past setups. I also keep less demanding fish right now. I have some empty tanks in the basement but no real desire to set them up right now.
The hobby is overall more enjoyment than work for me at this time. Maybe back things down a bit to a point where the fun is bigger than the work??

Atfownz

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
Here
Damn OP you hit the spot. I only time I don't feel like that is.... after i'm done with water changes.... ugh.

Aaroncboo1

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2012
Lockport IL
The maintenance aspect of everything never bothered me. I do it every day with cattle and sheep and all the other livestock. the fish are no different, in fact they're less time consuming. it's just a part of it owning animals period. They all have their downs whether its maintenance or death you just got to enjoy the animals for what they are.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Fish are pretty much my passion. I'm only 15 and I have 5 tanks up already with more coming, I find them beyond amazing. I spend most of my spare time reading and participating on forums (as you can see in my post count)

I keep my stocking fairly light and let my tanks run wild, gives me space maintenance wise. Even though I do it all by bucket it makes me happy to see some clean tanks :D

I love many fish, especially the smaller side of the hobby. Micro fish need love as well! As long as I have fish I'll be happy

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
Usually only when I am looking at water on the floor, a dead prized fish or at the clock waiting on that last tank to fill knowing my alarm will be going off in 4hrs. For me the rewards outweigh the time commitment and frustrations hands down. I only wish I had more time and resources available to dedicate to the hobby.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
Now that I've hit 40 I'm not as interested in learning and trying everything or having several tanks. My 40b is down to a pair of saulosi and I'm struggling to find a new route to go with it. My living room has my 240 & 36. The 36 has already been charged from high maintenance stem plants to simple crypts and swords with basic community fish and I'm loving. Not sure I'm looking to sell of stock but if the 240 crashed I'd probably just restock it as a simple angelfish or geophagus tank and move over the inhabitants of the 36 and shutter that tank. As long as I have something I'm happy, no need to challenge myself with new scapes, pellet training or tracking down species I've never seen before.

Reactions: Hendre
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store