Ever feel like this hobby is taking over ur life?

fishnatics

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Wisconsin
When I started out in the hobby I had about a dozen tanks and over 100 jars of bettas. That was more work for me than a hobby so after my first child was born it litterly became a chore and I found myself slacking so sold everything except for 1 tank. Now the hobby is so much more enjoyable and relaxing. I still look for deals and things but not as much.

Reactions: Frank Castle

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Keeping fish is hobby number one, angling is hobby number two. And my favourite food......fish! There's just something about the slimy critters whether i'm looking after them, catching them or eating them! My dream one day is to have a huge coldwater set up to house the common types of fish i catch i.e perch, roach, rudd and tench.

MHcblues119

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2007
Essex, New Jersey
My dad got me into fish keeping when I was like 14. He always had tanks. Nothing over 55g. He bought me a silver aro for my 20g and we quickly realized we needed a new tank. 10 years later I have fish worth more than my brothers car. And tanks as big as the car lol.

I look at this forum atleast once a day. And after work my time is dedicated to my tanks and working out.

Girlfriend says I love my fish more than her.

She might not be wrong ;)

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
My dad got me into fish keeping when I was like 14. He always had tanks. Nothing over 55g. He bought me a silver aro for my 20g and we quickly realized we needed a new tank. 10 years later I have fish worth more than my brothers car. And tanks as big as the car lol.

I look at this forum atleast once a day. And after work my time is dedicated to my tanks and working out.

Girlfriend says I love my fish more than her.

She might not be wrong ;)
Thank God for understanding gf's eh?

Sometimes I sicken myself thinking of my tanks, stuff I want to buy and work on; or dismantle, it's amazing they put up with it quite honestly

MHcblues119

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2007
Essex, New Jersey
Thank God for understanding gf's eh?

Sometimes I sicken myself thinking of my tanks, stuff I want to buy and work on; or dismantle, it's amazing they put up with it quite honestly
She puts up with it 95% of the time. She thinks most my fish are scary and ugly. But hey. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess.

She loves baby black rays tho! Trying to make me go broke

lightsout

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2015
Amazon
Same here. Except I think its more of a stress reliever from everyday life that gives me some sort of satisfaction. Not that my life is miserable, l live a comfortable good life. Ive gone through a few different hobbies but fish keeping is that one hobby that is always in your home 24/7. I love taking my crotch rocket for long rides but at the end of the day it stays in the garage. Once I walk in my home I have my fish to ease my mind.

butchie

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 3, 2009
orlando
I'll tell you one nice thing (among many) about fish is that it keeps me around the house. I've got a bunch of little ones, and its nice just hanging in front of the tanks while they jump on me rather than spending all day on the golf course or out hunting or something without them. My 4 yo loves playing with the tools while I tinker on the tanks also.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I agree with all of this. I was around MFK since about 2008 under a different user name (long story lol) and it was much more active. I downsized my hobby from 7 tanks to one and just maintained that one for a few years. Just in the last year I started upgrading and putting money into the hobby and spending more time on the forum again. Throughout the years I've found a balance that works for me. Winter time the fish hobby takes a backseat to my snowmobile though lol
Ban him again lol

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Got my first tank when I was 7 ish. Grew up on the water where I started by fishing daily. Then my interest grew to just looking at them in natural conditions. Watched largemouth bass, pike, perch spawning and that changed it for me. Started keeping native fish. Would spend my time watching native fish in tanks I had in one of our detached heated storage buildings. Around 60ftx60ft. I would spend every minute catching food for the fish, water changes or maintenance. I was around 9 at this time. In my early teens (12) I had around 1000 gallons of water in the one heated storage building, I maintained the pond on our property as well where I stocked a variety of native fish that would spawn yearly. Then I went to exotics where I spent every dime I ever made into fish and tanks. Grade 8 (whatever age that is 13-14 I believe) I got my first rays. Did my time with black rays, pbass, aros,and of course I found my love with gars. Moved away from the home and sold off most of the tanks, currently have nothing running. Until we finish moving houses there will be nothing new, still stay with this hobby by logging on to this site daily, talking on the Ontario MFK group chat we have going, assist in selling lights and stingrays as well as continue to build my contacts. Just got back from a fishing trip where I took the canoe out in the morning and just watched some smallmouths guarding the nest, then pike fishing in the afternoon. Love this hobby and I'm happy what it's done for me. Times where I doubt if It's a good choice but that cones with any hobby.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store