Excessive slime coat on angelfish

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
The link by RD showed ageing the water helped to stop the excessive slimecoat production.
I did see that but it is very unrealistic for me to be aging water.

If I had the room for that much water to be laying around id have More tanks ?

Reactions: kno4te

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Bump! I realize this is a very old thread, but I recently begun experiencing something similar (airbubbles on fish but no visible extra slime) and thought of a possible solution Niki_up Niki_up may benefit from too.

From hereon, I'm going to be putting the dechlorinator and the end of the Python into one of the hang on back filters, so that the water can splash down from it, get aerated, and have the dissolved gases removed.
The media can be kept in a bucket of old water until the tank is full, if need be. Anything I'm missing about this or does this have all bases covered?

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Bump! I realize this is a very old thread, but I recently begun experiencing something similar (airbubbles on fish but no visible extra slime) and thought of a possible solution Niki_up Niki_up may benefit from too.

From hereon, I'm going to be putting the dechlorinator and the end of the Python into one of the hang on back filters, so that the water can splash down from it, get aerated, and have the dissolved gases removed.
The media can be kept in a bucket of old water until the tank is full, if need be. Anything I'm missing about this or does this have all bases covered?
I haven’t had this problem in a long time! Maybe since my angelfish tank leaked and was taken down.

my tank was heavily planted, I’m curious if your tank is also heavily planted!
It is great solution, do let us know the progress of it!

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Absolutely. Tomorrow is water replacement day, so I'll report back then.

No live plants in the tank in question, just fake ones. I do know that plants will start breathing CO2 with insufficient light, and that excess CO2 is one of those gases responsible for slime coat bubbles, so maybe the plants had something to do with what happened in your tank?

Edit: RD. RD. might also want to know about the filter dribbling solution, should they ever run into another situation like the one with the chocolate cichlids.

Last edited:
Reactions: Niki_up

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
It worked like a charm Niki_up Niki_up !
Not a single bubble on any of the fish. I highly recommend this method.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Good concept, but wouldn’t work where I live (Nothwest Canada) where water temps drop down into the 40’s in winter months. From past trials & errors it seems to take close to 24 hrs to resolve the build up in winter water gas. Even in a separate upstream container, it would take massive amounts of agitation and a couple hours.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
I see. Sorry to hear that, must be pretty annoying for sure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store