Extreme Trauma..........Help!

Rez90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2007
Jersey
Ok, so i always thought it was a little odd that whenever i do my water changes my 3 fish usually go into shock........they stop moving much and some even lean to the side for a while........

But while changing my water tonight.......one of my RBPs has completely lay down on his side........not moving.......breathing...........but not moving at all.

It's been about 45 minutes and i'm afraid that one of my fish might actually die from......dare i say it..........a heart attack.......

anyone ever dealt with this?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
-Rez

StIcKy~RiCe

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 24, 2005
~ Laos ~
how much water change you doing?
what is your the temperature?
what tank size?
how often you do water change?

Most piranha will freak out with you go near the tank, do water change or turning on the light. Piranha in most case will freak out or shock during water change.

but it can be how the piranha are, or maybe it's they mood.

What is your water parameter?

Rez90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2007
Jersey
I change about 10 gallons in a 54. The temp is mid-high 70's. i do a water change every 2-3 weeks.

He seem's to be coming back to life.........but still......no reason a fish should lay on the bottom of the tank for an hour because of a simple water change.......

Rez90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2007
Jersey
dangmatic;1201829; said:
are you adding tap water conditioner?
how is the temp?
ph?

yes, adding conditioner......temp is fine.....ph is a little low, but nothing to be alarmed about.

my fish are just pussies

_Sushi_

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
South East Michigan
Piranha's occasionally play dead/dying when they're stressed (or so I've read) don't worry about them too much if they're getting better

bigredjeep

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2007
sticks
i agree w. sushi, when i change the water in my pygo tank, the fish all lay on their side and look dead, and my temp and water peram. are fine. i would be concerned if they stay like that for more then about 8 minutes after the water change

StIcKy~RiCe

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 24, 2005
~ Laos ~
Sound like your piranha are stress during water change. You should add some aquarium salt what finished with water change, that can help them out.

Sushi are right! piranha do play dead/laying/ etc...

you should do at least 30-50% of water change every week, keep the tank clean, lots of filteration. Piranha are messy eater and produce a lot of waste.

yourockit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2007
Los Angeles
Rez90;1201802; said:
Ok, so i always thought it was a little odd that whenever i do my water changes my 3 fish usually go into shock........they stop moving much and some even lean to the side for a while........

But while changing my water tonight.......one of my RBPs has completely lay down on his side........not moving.......breathing...........but not moving at all.

It's been about 45 minutes and i'm afraid that one of my fish might actually die from......dare i say it..........a heart attack.......

anyone ever dealt with this?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
-Rez
lmao! but it's not funny and i hope you figure it out.

yourockit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2007
Los Angeles
Rez90;1201834; said:
I change about 10 gallons in a 54. The temp is mid-high 70's. i do a water change every 2-3 weeks.

He seem's to be coming back to life.........but still......no reason a fish should lay on the bottom of the tank for an hour because of a simple water change.......
too funny! thanks for the laugh!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store