*Fact Sheet* Fahaka Puffer (Tetraodon lineatus)

studd muffin

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2009
'MERICA
Fahaka Puffer (Tetraodon lineatus)

Family: Tetraodontidae

Order: Tetraodontiformes

Class: Actinopterygii

Origin: Africa:
Nile River, Gambia, Niger, Volta, Chad basin, Geba and Senegal Rivers.

Common Names: Globe fish, Nile Puffer, Stripped Puffer .

Maximum Size: 17 inches (43 cm)

Temperament: Extremely aggressive towards other species and its own kind.

Environment: Freshwater.

pH: 7.0

Temperature: 75*F-84*F

Description: The Fahaka Puffer is a scale less fish that is intelligent and has a great personality. The Fahaka Puffer is the second largest of the freshwater puffers. When young, the Fahaka Puffer will have a dull purple and yellowish color and as it matures its colors will intensify. This puffer will not tolerate other tanks mates and will most likely kill them. On rare occasions the Fahaka Puffer will tolerate tank mates. When it feels threaten the Fahaka will inhale water or air and inflate itself for protection. It is not safe for a puffer to puff up because it can lead to death due to stress.

Feeding: *These fish have big appetites!*
Carnivore: Live/frozen shrimp, earthworms, live/frozen bloodworms, oysters, clams, crabs, snails.

*Note* The Fahaka Puffer have four fused plates(two on the top and two on the bottom) that forms a beak that helps them chew food. It is important to feed them a variety of crunchy food to help trim their beaks.

In the home aquarium: The Fahaka Puffer should be housed in a 125+ gallon aquarium when it is full grown. Do not house your Fahaka in a 10 gallon aquarium even though they are still a baby because it will stunt them and will lead to health problems and a shorter life. It is an active fish and will swim in all regions of the tank. It is highly recommended that you use sand as substrate because they love to burrow in the sand. Make sure that you have a well establish aquarium before introducing them into their new home. Fahaka Puffers are extremely sensitive to nitrites and ammonia so it is important to monitor water parameters. It is important to do a weekly 30%-50% water change to keep your Fahaka Puffer happy and healthy. Fahakas require an excellent filtration system because they can create a lot of waste. They will learn to recognize their owners and will swim up to the tank and beg you for food.

*Note* It is highly recommended that only experienced fish keepers keep these fish.

Diseases: The Fahaka Puffer is susceptible to all diseases other fish can contract. When treating the Fahaka Puffer it is important to lower the dosage to half because it has no scales.

studd muffin

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2009
'MERICA
*Photo*

Baby Fahaka Puffer 3 1/2 inches(Studd Muffin)

1 (3).JPG

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
I have kept some a long time ago!! Awesome Puffers

J-P

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2009
Canada
You are missing the citations.

You haven't quoted the sources...

studd muffin

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2009
'MERICA
J-P;4632752; said:
You are missing the citations.

You haven't quoted the sources...
All the info came from me besides the origin, common names, class, and order. Do I really need to cite those? I thought I didnt need to. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store