Fahaka help

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
So my fahaka is too smart to bite the clam shell when getting the meat out. They are clams in a half shell... I try facing them down but he still just picks at the meat without biting down. Any advice on to how to get him to trim his beak down?

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Feed whole?

Reactions: SandNukka15

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I used to buy clams whole and then crack the shell open just a little so that she would know there is meat inside, from there it was up to her to physically crack it open and get to the meaty portion she wanted...

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Well that's really just scraping once getting the final pieces out. At a juvenile size I'd say your staple should be snails you breed yourself. Then fill in the rest with a variety you choose. It's not a huge issue right now. Yes it's good to get them on crunchy, but their beak doesn't fully fuse until a little later if I remember correctly. I posted a study on it i believe in twentyleagues dual fahaka tank thread.

Usually you'll start with snails then transition to big crawfish once bigger & your snails can't keep up as a staple. I've grabbed empty snail shells online then filled them with vitamin soaked meat as well. You can smear repashy on a rock. I try to stay away from a lot of thiaminese high staples for this type of puffer.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store