Fahaka puffer diet

qguy

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
Vancouver. Canada
This is what is available to me, please let me know if any of these are bad for the puffer - thanks
so far he ate, Super worms , he ate three in succession already :)

other available options

Apple snails - feed live ? The puffer is 6.5 inches, can he break open 1 inch snails ?

Market prawns - freeze, thaw and throw in tank? Whole with head or body only ?

Mollies - feed live, can the puffer chase this ?

Freshwater Clams - What size do i feed him ? Will this live in the aquarium ? like can i put ten in the tank and just let it live there until the puffer eats it ? Can i freeze this and feed him as is ?
freshwater clam link - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corbicula_fluminea

Mussels - I feed my Dovii, this, , preparation boiled de-shelled and frozen. Will the puffer eat this ? do i feed him live ones ? how big a mussel can he crack open ? Can i freeze this and feed him as is ?
link to mussels - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perna_viridis

Small saltwater crabs, their purchased dead in the market, the shell is about an inch in size.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I used to feed mine the following foods:

Clams in full shell (defrosted)

Mussels in half shell (defrosted)

Frozen Market Prawns (no head / defrosted)

Crab Legs (defrosted)

Squid legs

FD Krill

Live Apple/ Ramshorn Snails

Live Freshwater Prawns/ shrimp

I would personally avoid feeding live fish etc if possible, mainly due to the potential for Internal Parasites... otherwise just if you can quarantine them then that would be better, but live not really necessary imo...

Reactions: olliesworld

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Oh and i also used to have a colony of marble crays for her diet too...

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
I can't post the link. Below is copy & paste.

. Feeding Your Puffers

When it comes to feeding puffers there is no excuse to feed them a poor diet. For many puffers their meal can and does consists primarily of shellfish, crustaceans and hard shelled foods such as snails. This is the basic requirement in feeding puffers as their teeth need to be constantly worn down to prevent overgrowth. If you provide a source of ‘shell on food’ then the need to intervene with dentistry is greatly reduced. Some puffers more than others rely more on ‘hard’ foods for teeth wear than others. In my experience it seems to be the ‘hunters’ that benefit from this diet more so than the ‘lurkers’, although with puffers there is always at least one exception.

Food can be offered in a variety of forms. The most common, probably due to ease of keeping is frozen food. Provided the food is kept frozen and only allowed to thaw prior to being offered then you should have no problems with this source. People adopt different methods of thawing the food, all are as good as another. Some leave to defrost over night in the fridge, some defrost using a cup of tank water. I tend to allow a boiled kettle to cool off then pour the water into a bowl containing the frozen food. Another way is to allow to thaw using vitamin water. I always strain the water off before offering to the tank. This is a particularly good advice when it comes to thawing pre packed frozen cubes such as bloodworm. Defrost them as mentioned then rinse and strain through a fine net. This way you will ensure that you are only adding the food to the tank and nothing else that could add to your tanks bio load!

Freeze dried food is another form. This needs to be soaked prior to offering. Again using vitamin water to soak is a good idea to ensure your puffer gets a healthy meal.

Live food is another good form to offer your puffers and many examples can be offered, although feeder fish are frowned upon and can cause some problems for your puffer. Bearing in mind that the majority of puffers are not piscivores at all! If you introduce your puffer to feeder fish then you run the risk of not only introducing a disease everytime you offer one but the diet is not beneficial to your puffer as prolong feeding of fish can cause issues such as a ‘fatty’ liver and die prematurely.
Many people when offering live foods also ‘gut load’ them prior to offering. This means that for instance if you were offering a ghost shrimp, then the shrimp itself could be fed on vegetation, which in turn the puffer will ultimately receive. Also in the instance of harvesting the food yourself, care must be taken into account on the environment the food source is found. IE. that earthworms are found in an area free of pesticides, fertilizers and weedkillers etc.

As with any feeding of puffers it is important they are watched as much as possible. This will not only ensure they are feeding well but any remaining food can be remove from the tank as soon as possible to prevent water deterioration.

Below is a list of common food available to offer your puffer. Remember, your puffer will benefit from a varied diet.

Frozen
•Mussel
•Cockle
•Krill
•Prawn
•King Prawn
•Crabs and crabs legs
•Bloodworm
•Black worms
•Siversides

Live
•Snails (Rocker’s Snail Breeding Article) | (RTR’s Snail Breeding Article)
•Crabs
•Crayfish
•Shrimp
•Earthworms
•Crickets (occasionally)
•Meal worms (occasionally)
•Bloodworm
•Blackworms

Freeze-dried
•Krill
•Plankton

Article by Ian Jefferies aka Rocker