Fahaka Stopped Up? or Bloat?

slednex11

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2010
regina ,sk
Burp him buddy, i had to get very aggressive to my MBU to get the air out, he got gased up from the algae waffers i was feeding my Turtle, he'd steal some and then he'd get "fat" and drag his belly on the bottom or swim all weird like your gf said " a blimp crashing" lol, my guy was so bad that either it was gonna die probably if i didn't get aggressive with the burping, it took 3-4 times over the course of an evening then when i woke up he was back to normal!!!! GL let us know how things go

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
How much Epsom salt did you add? It should not affect his breathing.

DonW

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2012
Texas
He has blockage for sure. Girlfriend said yesterday that he was trying hard to push something out. Said his rearend was a huge diameter but still couldnt get it out. So if Epson salt doesn't work and he isnt eating anything that can be done to help break down whatever is in his stomach to help him pass the blockage?

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
For a full strenth epsome salt bath. In a large container filled with water from your aquarium, add 1 tablespoon Epsom salts per gallon. Place the fish in this solution for 1/4 to 1/2 hour monitor for signs of stress during bath the blockage should be released. Change the water in the main tank about an hour after putting it back into the tank. This can be repeated daily until fish shows signs of recovery. You can aslo try to gently manipulate the anus to see if the initail blockage can be disloged allowing the the release of the remaining fecal matter. GL.

DonW

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2012
Texas
For a full strenth epsome salt bath. In a large container filled with water from your aquarium, add 1 tablespoon Epsom salts per gallon. Place the fish in this solution for 1/4 to 1/2 hour monitor for signs of stress during bath the blockage should be released. Change the water in the main tank about an hour after putting it back into the tank. This can be repeated daily until fish shows signs of recovery. You can aslo try to gently manipulate the anus to see if the initail blockage can be disloged allowing the the release of the remaining fecal matter. GL.
Awesome, I appreciate it
I have a 10 gallon bucket I will try this with tonight

DonW

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2012
Texas
Update from Last night:
Got home and notice his stomach didn't seem so large. Looked around and couldn't find any remnants of poop.
He started swimming around the bottom a little then made his way up and around the tank then went and laid back down for the rest of the evening. I decided to do another water change just in case. On the bottom of the power head were two large white chucks that look to be compacted poo. I am hoping he passed the blockage. Time will only tell.. I am going to try your idea of Aquanero tonight.
Hopefully we are pass all the hard parts and we can get him eating again.
I will post picture of him tonight.

DonW

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2012
Texas
Sounds promising, waiting for the update.
checked all parameters on water again last night
7.8 PH -7.9ph
Amonia - 0
Nitrates - 0
Nitrites - 0

He is very dark but he belly is white. Promising note he did bury himself in the sand for the first time in 3 weeks. He used to be under the sand all the time. But still hasnt eaten anything tried garlic soaked clams. going to try worms this evening but he never liked them in the past.
I just dont want him to starve to death.

kevinfleming21

Jurassic Aquatics
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2010
Chandler, AZ
It would take a lot longer than you think for that to even be a possibility. Puffers are very piggish and would never starve themselves to that point.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store