Fall pike on the fly

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
Spent Friday tying up some flies for pike, after six hours of non stop double haul casting the 10wt on the river Saturday I came home with a box full of chewed up pike flies and wire tippets bent into what resembles a slinky, so I guess you could say Saturday's fishing was a pretty good day ;)

It was cold, windy, and a bit of rain but that all makes for perfect fall pike weather. All in all I'd say around twenty different pike followed, chased, slashed at or ate my flies, many of them exploding on the fly right at my feet which always makes for an exciting take on the fly. Sizes ran from as small as 20" on up to about 33" but they were all active and wanted to kill the streamer. Best thing about it, there was not another person in sight, it was just me the river and some aggressive fall fish, gotta love the river at this time of the year!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Nice catches,Steve.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Looks like a good day in my book, hands down my favorite species to target. Yet to try a fly rod, but im interested in learning. Seems the finiky/pressured biggens fall to the fly more often.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store