Fathead Minnows

rosyred81

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2017
Good evening everyone,

My husband & I just purchased 3 fathead minnows for our 10g aquarium. I found this site quite quickly and have been researching fh minnow forum articles. A couple questions I have currently...if anyone can enlighten me.. ;)

We purchased these 3 and all supplies from local pet shop, they are are first and only fish. I'm uncertain of their ages and sex (been looking up sexing fh minnows & am not certain at what age you can begin doing so) we have 2 smaller ones approx 3/4 in in length (one dark / one pink) and the other is pink and approx 1 1/4 in. long.

Also, is it common to leave the aquarium light off 8 hrs a day (when we go in to sleep in other words)? I know I've read that it's common in breeding to keep light on for duration and then off for a shorter duration, I am just wondering in general.

Another question I have is.....are live plants better/ or a variation between artificial / live beneficial for fathead aquariums...or does it matter? Currently we have 4 artificial "plants" and a small log about 3" long by probably 1" diamater (bought it prior to knowing how large they become)

Thanks
~~Carrie~~

Reactions: GamerChick5567

rosyred81

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2017
Another question I have currently, is I have dried fish flakes and I have been reading that that is Ok for these guys. Brand is Omega One Goldfish flakes 39% crude protein also states it never clouds water.
Also we bought "vacation feeders" the small white blocks for when we have to leave the house for over couple days time etc. Any advice on these etc?

I read somewhere to rather crush up the flakes in my fingers and place my fingers "underwater" and then release when feeding and no more than what they can consume in 3 mins time. After intro them into the aquarium I waited awhile then fed them a pinch...they were still very much getting accustomed to the new enviroment and I'm uncertain how much they've consumed (nor how much they've ate previously at the pet store!) . The pet store advised me to feed them twice a day w/ one day of fasting...is there truth to this?

Also alot of the articles I've found online are concerning breeding and mention to add additional nutrition for them. Not being concerned w/ breeding, just daily good nutrition at this point, is it reccomended I look into adding other nutrition and or cycling what I feed ea day (mixture of flakes oen day w/ the other things I've read...on another day etc) ??

Thank you so much
~~Carrie~~

Reactions: GamerChick5567
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store