Fav guapote

jagsndoviman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2005
michigan
Wich is your fav friedrichsthalii, loisellei, managuensis, motaguensis ,and dovi......i think the motag has the best color buddy had a big female had such pretty reds meanest is dovi and the one i want to get is the loisellei saw a lil female at lfs very mean lookin and d lfs also has freddy might pick one up

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
red tiger mota with loisellei close behind. I like jags too but I'd rather have other Parachromis first. :)

SiestaSkyy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2006
Brooklyn, MI
i have 3 outta 5. I'll have them all soon enough.gotta catch um all, gotta catch um all

scottv

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2006
Minnesota
Dovii is the most kickass....but their requirements are too large.....

So......Jags...I like the body of Jags...they really make an impression...after that would be a Motaguense...I would love to own one, one day.... :grinyes:

mohinder

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
I have a loisellei pair and two motaguense (one red tiger, one yellow; both female) in my 180. I've also owned the jag, but the friedrichsthalii is pretty near impossible to find where I live. I think the motas look nicer, but the loisellei tend to be more outgoing and interesting. The jag I had was REALLY mellow.

Here's my red tiger mota:

Female Loisellei

scottv

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2006
Minnesota
Sweet red tiger!! :eek: :thumbsup:

What makes a guapote?

How come a Jack dempsey isn't a guapote? It looks kinda like one lol.....

black1031

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2005
MI
I like them all but I have a crazy obsession with P.dovii. I currently have 6 not counting fry. Only one is huge at 16'' and by far the best fish I have ever owned. I also have two breeding pairs of Motaguense and two breeding pairs of Managuese black and white and gold morphs.

Loiselli and freddies are on my list again and can't wait to get my hands on some more.

Wouldn't the Nandopsis species also fall under guapotes. If so I also have four grammodes

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
the term guapote applies to the 5 Parachromis species (loisellei, friedrichsthalli, motaguense, managuense and dovii) and Petenia splendida. there are other species that are loosely referred to as guapotes or mini-guapotes, but officially there are only 6 guapote species.

also, the Nandopsis genus is now restricted to the 4 species from Cuba, Hispaniola and Haiti (tetracanthus, haitiensis, vombergae and ramsdeni). grammodes (in fact the entire grammodes group also including beani and istlanum) is now in a group called exCichlasoma along with such species as salvini, pearsei, bocourti, festae and several others. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store