Favorite African Cichlid and why

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
just wanna talk about african cichlids

Trying African Cichlids again but no Mbuna. Lucked up and picked up a juvenile Sciaenochromis Fryeri is my favorite at the moment reminds of having a saltwater setup again with his color.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Trying African Cichlids again but no Mbuna. Lucked up and picked up a juvenile Sciaenochromis Fryeri is my favorite at the moment reminds of having a saltwater setup again with his color.
I have never been big on the mbunas though I have had a small few when I was into Aricans.My hands down,all time favorite African cichlid has to be the Malawai trout-Champsachromis caerulius.I love the body shape,blue coloring and long finnage of the adults.It is a pretty impressive looking fish when it reaches a decent size.

Reactions: J. H. and tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have never been big on the mbunas though I have had a small few when I was into Aricans.My hands down,all time favorite African cichlid has to be the Malawai trout-Champsachromis caerulius.I love the body shape,blue coloring and long finnage of the adults.It is a pretty impressive looking fish when it reaches a decent size.
Yes they are nice and unique looking.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Yes they are nice and unique looking.
Yep.My only problems with them were that they are hard to sex at the small sizes they are usually available at(the males develop the long trailing fins as they grow) and they are slow growers in my experience....but not datnoid slow lol.
Just look at this beauty.
malawi_trout2_blair.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Yep.My only problems with them were that they are hard to sex at the small sizes they are usually available at(the males develop the long trailing fins as they grow) and they are slow growers in my experience....but not datnoid slow lol.
Just look at this beauty.
View attachment 1254288
Was that your Malawi Trout Krich ? It is beautiful.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store