Feather fin Knifefish?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Feather fin knife fish is a common name in the trade, for notopterus notopterus.
93EA9EAA-7AAA-479C-A8F8-115FEFF5E014.jpeg

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Bronze featherback is the other common name. Commonly mistaken for African knives or vice versa

MatteoTheEnder22

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2020
Miami
Featherfins are usually more of general species name in the family Notopteridae and the species are
1. The most common species in the trade the clown knife aka Chitala ornata
2. Chitala blanci (royal knife)
3.Chitala borneensis also called the Indonesian featherback
4. Chitala chitala (indian knife fish)
5. Chitala hypselonotus
6. Then there is chitala lopis (giant knife) but its currently classified extinct
There are other knifes but they are from other subfamilies with the species on top being from the subfamily Notopterinae
There is another species that is in the Subfamily Xenomystinae
With the african knife fish being the only species in this subfamily
Then there is the genus Notopterus with the bronze featherback (Notopterus notopterus) being the only species in the genus
Then there is another genus Papyrocranus with 2 species The afer knife fish (Papyrocranus afer) and
Papyrocranus congoensis
Hope this helps. ?

Reactions: Kelly_Aquatics

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Featherfins are usually more of general species name in the family Notopteridae and the species are
1. The most common species in the trade the clown knife aka Chitala ornata
2. Chitala blanci (royal knife)
3.Chitala borneensis also called the Indonesian featherback
4. Chitala chitala (indian knife fish)
5. Chitala hypselonotus
6. Then there is chitala lopis (giant knife) but its currently classified extinct
There are other knifes but they are from other subfamilies with the species on top being from the subfamily Notopterinae
There is another species that is in the Subfamily Xenomystinae
With the african knife fish being the only species in this subfamily
Then there is the genus Notopterus with the bronze featherback (Notopterus notopterus) being the only species in the genus
Then there is another genus Papyrocranus with 2 species The afer knife fish (Papyrocranus afer) and
Papyrocranus congoensis
Hope this helps. ?
Nice lookup. featherfins generally refer to notpterus. Never heard of Clown knives being referred to as featherbacks :cheers:

Reactions: MatteoTheEnder22

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Ok thanks the giant knife is so cool looking but their are resent photos did it only go extinct recently?
Various parts of the IUCN say different things, I think it needs taxonomic work. It is stated as least concern here, weird stuff. Given the recent photos I'll go with the assumption that it still lives.

MatteoTheEnder22

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2020
Miami
Nice lookup. featherfins generally refer to notpterus. Never heard of Clown knives being referred to as featherbacks :cheers:
Ok thanks the giant knife is so cool looking but their are resent photos did it only go extinct recently?
Thx yeah ive seen clowns being called featherbacks in some local fish stores
and also the giant knife I put it wrong its not extinct its actually least concern on the IUCN redlist the extinct part was a mistake on my end but the giant knife is not from what I know in the hobby.

MatteoTheEnder22

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2020
Miami
Various parts of the IUCN say different things, I think it needs taxonomic work. It is stated as least concern here, weird stuff. Given the recent photos I'll go with the assumption that it still lives.
Yeah very strange yeah yesterday I was going in deep taxonomy in the order Osteoglossiformes trying find as much as I can about them but the thing is that order which featherbacks are part of is very messy so it currently needs a lot if work on my opinion.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Thx yeah ive seen clowns being called featherbacks in some local fish stores
and also the giant knife I put it wrong its not extinct its actually least concern on the IUCN redlist the extinct part was a mistake on my end but the giant knife is not from what I know in the hobby.
2011 said least concern, 2019 says extinct. Trying to dig up the exact research that led to the conclusion.

Yeah very strange yeah yesterday I was going in deep taxonomy in the order Osteoglossiformes trying find as much as I can about them but the thing is that order which featherbacks are part of is very messy so it currently needs a lot if work on my opinion.
I can imagine. Phylogenetics is still relatively new, but could help sort out the different species.

Reactions: MatteoTheEnder22
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store