Featherfin speed of growth?!?!?!

SkWsdm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2008
Upstate, NY
I have had a featherfin squeaker for about two months now. He was sold to me, as I hear often happens, as a "lace or false upsidedown" cat.
When I bought him he was just 1.5 inches (3.8cm) long tip to tip. NOW he is already just under 5 inches (12.5cm) long. :eek: In TWO months!!!

Can someone PLEASE tell me how long this rate of growth will continue? How long does it usually take reach full size?

Also: I have done A LOT of research on the internet and can't seem to find much agreement on how big this fish actually gets. I have seen maximums listed as anywhere from 7-13 inches. Can anyone with experience tell me how large I can expect him/her to get at maturity?

I need to know how large a tank I should be getting, and I'd rather buy a large enough one now than have to keep upgrading!!! Thanks!!!

catfish 040.jpg

catfish 019.jpg

catfish 032.jpg

catfish 045.jpg

catfish 055.jpg

TwistedPenguin

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
Oklahoma
I had a full grown one awhile back and he/she was 7" total. He'd been at the fish shop 8-9 months and had been traded in. He was several years old. He was pretty territorial, I gave him away. I did get 2 teeny tiny ones 2 months ago. They were 1" then and now are 3". So they're growing about an inch a month. Yours seems to be growing faster. They do grow fast. I don't know how to sex them.

SkWsdm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2008
Upstate, NY
Thanks all!!!
Particularly glad to hear we may be heading for a break in the growth rate!!
Based on all of that info, can we guess how old my little fatty is? {Curiosity is such an odd thing!}

smallguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2006
Allentown PA
just to give u more of the same info mine slowed after hitting 6 inchs. if i had to guess at 5 inches 6 months? im just guessing it takes a couple months to go from fry to an inch then after that they eat till they hit 6 or 7 inches

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
He is awesome.. i have two and love their active playfulness... they are always busy...:D

SkWsdm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2008
Upstate, NY
Thank you both!!!

Smallguy: I appreciate you sharing your experience!!! Maybe I can start breathing again because I still have time to get the kind of tank I want him to be in, instead of having to rush into something intermediate!!!

Red Devil: Did you get them at the same time? Are they matching in size? I've been wanting to get a couple more, because I understand they enjoy the company, but I've been concerned about introductions with the one I already have growing so fast, among other things.

Muske

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Mundelein IL
What size tank do you have?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store