Feedback on Goldfish I Might Buy

Acro

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2012
GA
I'm thinking about getting this group of fish (pictured below) as a breeding project and I'd like your feedback. I haven't been in "the goldfish game" for a while so I'm not even sure what's common (or uncommon) anymore, but I thought these fish were attractive and unusual. I haven't had a goldfish in years and I want to buy something I like (and I think these are beautiful, but expensive), but I am thinking about breeding and I'd like others to like the fish too (and maybe want to buy their offspring). So with this in mind, please evaluate the fish in the photos and let me know:
  • Do you find them attractive?
  • Are their colors unusual?
  • What sex do you think they are?
  • Do they look like "show quality" fish?
  • As a group, do you think they would make a good breeding investment?
Details and claims given about these fish from the person selling them:
  • "Imported from Thailand" and "quarantined for several months"
  • Described as "Show Quality" with "excellent body conformation" and as "powerful strong swimmers" and "TOP quality and very strong and healthy."
  • Colors described as "24k Gold and Platinum" with "high sheen bi-color pattern" and "The gold looks exactly like a $20 gold uncirculated coin. A metallic yellow gold color".
  • Referred to as a "Hibuna" and "very rare comet"
  • "Four months old"
  • Claiming they "Will grow very large"

Fish One at 4" (Looks like a Male)

Fish 1a.jpgFish 1b.jpgFish 1c.jpg

Fish Two at 4" (I'd say Female)

Fish 2a.jpgFish 2b.jpgFish 2c.jpgFish 2d.jpg

Fish Three at 5" (Female???)

Fish 3a.jpgFish 3b.jpgFish 3c.jpg

Fish Four at 6.5" (Possible Female)

Fish 4a.jpgFish 4b.jpgFish 4c.jpgFish 4d.jpgFish 4e.jpg

Fish Five at 6.5" (Male? Maybe????)

Fish 5a.jpgFish 5b.jpgFish 5c.jpg

Thanks for reading! Please give your comments and thoughts!

Last edited:

altums85

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2018
I am more into other fancy goldfish and not these typical comet ones. But these look pretty nice for what it is. They do grow big. Are u buying these for side view or top views? How much are they charging?

Reactions: tlindsey

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
I don’t keep goldfish anymore but when I did I also preferred the fancy goldfish or a nice shunbunkin.
These guys are nice, not expensive nice in my opinion...some have a redness around the gill and head area, could be a lack of scales? Or just not great coverage. Some also have black dots in the rings around their eyes, I find this distracting from the overall look of the fish.
I’m not saying they are not nice, bc they are nice.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Have kept and bred goldfish and commet goldfish before (still do) and I see nothing special in most of the ones shown, not to ask for a higher price, albeit the comment above is most certainly spot on for many commet goldfish, "beauty" is most certainly "in the eye of the beholder", unless you get to real show quality fish. A couple of the photos could have the platinum and gold as described but personally for even 4" fish they appear under developed. Certainly can't class fish with damaged or missing scales as show quality!
Personally much prefer to see deep reds with clear pure white and either common tails (those look too stubby to me) or personal preference is longtail when dealing with commets and short tail for pure red, (Goldfish) or red with clear fin breed.

Last edited:

greg c

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2014
nj
Who says beauty is in the eye of the beholder, these comets are nicer than most I've seen, I got them from Toledo goldfish, this place has nice sarasa comets

Aquatic Aggression

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
Hibuna is a colored metallic scale wild type with standard tails. Comet is metallic non wild color with the extended tail. Big difference in the two.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store