Feeder fish have ich.. Is it ok to feed?

JCal

Feeder Fish
Apr 9, 2017
I have a bullseye snakehead that has a tank all to himself but my goldfish tank has developed an ich problem. Is it ok to feed the ones still alive to my snakehead?

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Yes, this is a no...unless you want to risk treating your snakehead for ich. No one can guarantee what will happen, but there's much more than a non-zero chance the snakehead will get ich if you do.

Also you should know that simply moving the net from one tank to the other, using the same buckets or cups, using the same hoses could transfer the parasite.

If it were me, I'd sterilize all the utensils and the feeder tank, sooner rather than later.

JCal

Feeder Fish
Apr 9, 2017
Thanks guys, I'll definitely sterilize all equipment and make sure both sets of water are treated.

Reactions: tlindsey

JCal

Feeder Fish
Apr 9, 2017
Just an update. Snakehead is doing awesome, feeder tank drained, switched him to crickets and worms and going to treat the feeder tank for a week before putting anything in it.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Sounds good.

Running the tank with plain water and some bleach will sterilize the tank and filters, although the BB will die as well.

Also, you can run the tank with a very high temp (100+ F) and salt (over 3 ppm) for a week and that will remove ich without exterminating most of the BB. Leaving the tank drained might not get rid of ich if there are small amounts of water in the filter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store