feeder fish massacre! my 3 florida gars

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
I lived in Clifton Park my whole life, just moved to Rotterdam. I go to Eddies a lot, I saw that gar there a few times. The frayed back fins and off-color head were too similiar to be a coincidence.

Matthijs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
Rotterdam
looks very nice! I have recently sold my arowana because it was too big and killing all other tankmates. I now have one spotted gar, but thinking of bying one more.

SSmokinn SS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2009
NY
Madding;4175861; said:
I lived in Clifton Park my whole life, just moved to Rotterdam. I go to Eddies a lot, I saw that gar there a few times. The frayed back fins and off-color head were too similiar to be a coincidence.

ahhh got it

as far as the frayed fins go...what do you think about that? When I bought him, I figured they were torn like that from being in the 55 gallon tank or whatever he was in, and they would grow back in my tank...

but the closer I look at them, it seem's like its more of a defect? Any idea's what to do?

SSmokinn SS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2009
NY
Matthijs;4175874; said:
looks very nice! I have recently sold my arowana because it was too big and killing all other tankmates. I now have one spotted gar, but thinking of bying one more.

sorry to hear!

my silver I have had sense he was 5"..he has always been housed with fish the same size, if not a little bigger until he reached 12"...now he is 17".

He has never been aggressive or killed any of my fish. The only time he was aggressive was when I bought another 17" silver and tried the two out....that didnt work out so I brought the one back....but as far as picking on other fish, he is harmless unless he is the one getting picked on. He is pretty mellow for a silver.

gacericardo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2009
All about the U
those fins will grow back no problem. I have found my gar on the floor 4 times and put him back in every time. He was beaten up and now is perfect. It shouldnt take more than a month with the right water to heal the fins

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
That gar has been sitting in the basement of Eddies for a very long time. They have some set-ups down there. I have no idea exactly how old it is, but that gar is at least 5 years old. Unfortunately I don't think it was kept in the best condition, so it may be stunted and those fins may have been like that for quite some time. I'm really happy to see it get a good home.

SSmokinn SS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2009
NY
Madding;4176248; said:
That gar has been sitting in the basement of Eddies for a very long time. They have some set-ups down there. I have no idea exactly how old it is, but that gar is at least 5 years old. Unfortunately I don't think it was kept in the best condition, so it may be stunted and those fins may have been like that for quite some time. I'm really happy to see it get a good home.

damn thats sad.

I was down in the basement a few weeks ago....I didnt see him but yah, his fins are brutal. I will try my hardest to get them to come back but it might be too far gone.

5 years old? wow. He is really stunted then. The other big florida I have in my tank is a little over a year and he is only about a inch smaller.

poor guy!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store