Feeder goldfish or guppies

Darryl Taylor

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2019
Michigan
I know that pellets can contain more protein and vitamins in them because of the amount of a gradients add. But I’m trying to find where feeder fish like goldfish and guppies and zero to no nutrition that fish need to survive for a long time. Can someone help me with this information please?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I know that pellets can contain more protein and vitamins in them because of the amount of a gradients add. But I’m trying to find where feeder fish like goldfish and guppies and zero to no nutrition that fish need to survive for a long time. Can someone help me with this information please?

Feeders are nutritional also can be gut fed prior to feeding to your fish. A good brand pellet will be nutritional and the safe method of feeding. Some members choose to feed live but quarantine prior to feeding.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Feeders are nutritional also can be gut fed prior to feeding to your fish. A good brand pellet will be nutritional and the safe method of feeding. Some members choose to feed live but quarantine prior to feeding.
+1
If u have no choice but feeders then guppies are better than feeder goldfish.

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
Like said, a quality pellet, where the first 3-4 ingredients on the ingredient list are whole proteins and plant matter make the best staple foods.

If live feeders are a must, I wouldn't feed goldfish because of the poor nutritional value they have. They'll produce more waste than anything. Guppies and endlers should have more nutritional value and will breed out of control if you let them.

Darryl Taylor

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2019
Michigan
This is what I do. I mean need to get a brand of pellet food. But I quarantine and put medicine in tank for a few days before I feed

Reactions: tlindsey

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
If it's the size of feeders that's the problem you could always switch over to platys or mollies as they will reproduce at about the same rate as guppies will but will get quite a bit bigger. Or if you want to stay with guppies I recommend a bigger tank with plenty of cover while also making sure to cull only males as the females will reproduce more with less males in the tank. But the same goes for platys and mollies as well. Generally 3 females to every male. But I do definitely recommend upgrading from guppies to mollies as mollies can grow upto 3-4 inches while guppies only get upto 1-2 inches at most. Very rare to have a guppy get bigger then that.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
So feeding gold fish is not good for a couple of reasons. First they are not as nutrious as a pellet, basically they are worth about what is in their gut when you feed them. Second is the risk of disease and parasites, if you medicate them then your fish also ingest meds not intended or needed by them. Third and probably one of the top reasons to not feed gold fish is they contain a enzyme called thiamasine which inhibits the fishes ability to use b vitamines. That's an easy way of saying what actually happens when ingested. Not all "feeder fish" contain thiamasine but a few do. The other reasons go for other live feeders also.
Pellets are more nutrious over all. Is it you who wants to feed live or do you have fish that won't eat anything else?
Have you tried frozen fish or sea food like chopped tilapia filets or silversides for a whole fish? I breed snails for my puffer and I've lost a few colonies so I have had to start over. I don't want to feed snails from the lfs until they have been properly qt'd. Snails don't get ich and most other diseases but they can carry it around for a while. I don't know if mollies, platies, or swordtails contain thiamasine but may want to look into breeding something like them as Magnus_Bane Magnus_Bane suggested.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
So feeding gold fish is not good for a couple of reasons. First they are not as nutrious as a pellet, basically they are worth about what is in their gut when you feed them. Second is the risk of disease and parasites, if you medicate them then your fish also ingest meds not intended or needed by them. Third and probably one of the top reasons to not feed gold fish is they contain a enzyme called thiamasine which inhibits the fishes ability to use b vitamines. That's an easy way of saying what actually happens when ingested. Not all "feeder fish" contain thiamasine but a few do. The other reasons go for other live feeders also.
Pellets are more nutrious over all. Is it you who wants to feed live or do you have fish that won't eat anything else?
Have you tried frozen fish or sea food like chopped tilapia filets or silversides for a whole fish? I breed snails for my puffer and I've lost a few colonies so I have had to start over. I don't want to feed snails from the lfs until they have been properly qt'd. Snails don't get ich and most other diseases but they can carry it around for a while. I don't know if mollies, platies, or swordtails contain thiamasine but may want to look into breeding something like them as Magnus_Bane Magnus_Bane suggested.
As far I know they don't contain much if any of the enzyme. Granted I don't feed them religiously to my fish either. Usually I gift them out to friends or family first but I do feed them to my flowerhorns as treats from time to time. Mainly so I can see their predatory nature truely come out. Granted they have been getting less and less lately just do to the fact that my line breeding is finally showing results and having less mistakes. But yes live bearers do tend to be allot healthier then goldfish are. I'll even use minnows over goldfish any day.

Reactions: twentyleagues

Darryl Taylor

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2019
Michigan
Problem with getting my large peacock bass to eat anything but live.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store