Feeding Geophagus Sveni Flake Food

Flashback

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2021
Raleigh, NC
I am starting a tank with Geophagus Sveni. I have seen the different foods to feed them. My question is about feeding flake foods. They seem to all be floating food. I though you need to feed them food that sinks? Can anyone fill me in on the flake foods for Geophagus? Thanks, John

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
I am starting a tank with Geophagus Sveni. I have seen the different foods to feed them. My question is about feeding flake foods. They seem to all be floating food. I though you need to feed them food that sinks? Can anyone fill me in on the flake foods for Geophagus? Thanks, John
Mix ur flakes in a cup of water then dump them in, theyll sink no problem ?. I do this to avoid them being sucked right into my overflows and wasted…

harrisonsaid

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2022
I have a mixed tank with geos and tetras so I often put flake in there, and they don't seem to care for it at all. The flake I use sinks after 30 seconds or do and they still mostly ignore it. They absolutely love the xtreme pellets though.

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Pinch a wad and swirl your pinch in the tank to moisten and it will sink.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
Get very small sinking pellets. Bug Bites, most NLS, etc. are sinking pellets. Geos eat by sifting sand and filtering out bits of food, so I find that they don’t eat larger pellets well. Even my large Geos only get 1mm pellets. Feed them something easy to sift for.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
I've fed mine flakes sometimes. Ime they like flakes just fine if they like the taste of the product. There's no need to soak, pinch, etc. if you just release the flakes into your filter current to blow them around. Not only that, I also feed mine freeze dried mysis, a floating food, and they do just fine going after it.

Ime with sveni and other geos, if they like a food they'll go where the food is, especially if they're comfortable in a tank, not intimidated by other fish, etc. Even for sinking pellets mine come right to the surface and snap half of them up before they ever hit the sand, then they go sifting for more. I've had zero issues feeding 2-3 mm pellets to geos, not if they like the product. My main reason for feeding smaller pellets when they're available in a particular product, particularly to smaller geos, is it keeps them busy for a while vs. filling up quickly on a larger pellet.

jake37

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2021
Fyi: My new life spectrum flake has a warning on the label: "Although all flake foods can maintain small fishes it will not promote long term growth and health for large fish due to insufficient consumption".

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Fyi: My new life spectrum flake has a warning on the label: "Although all flake foods can maintain small fishes it will not promote long term growth and health for large fish due to insufficient consumption".
I remember when Tetramin was the top brand many moons ago and some people would just feed that to their fish. Believe it or not some of the fish lived along time.

Reactions: neutrino
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store