Feeding Lionfish,

WOLF2013

Banned
MFK Member
May 2, 2018
Lake Worth Florida
www.youtube.com
Hello. I have been keeping saltwater fish only with live rock predatory aquariums for a couple years. I've kept puffers, triggers, and the like but never kept lionfish. I've always wanted lionfish but have read and heard that they are hard to feed and only eat live. I don't want to feed live shrimp and guppies. But I really like the looks of the zebra and volitan lionfish. Is it true they are hard to feed? I feed my fish market shrimp, tilapia, krill, frozen brine and mysis shrimp and other meaty foods. Do you think I could eventually get a lionfish to eat these foods?
Out of the zebra and Volitan lionfish which one would be the most easiest to get off live foods?
I know I am probably day dreaming but it would be cool to purchase a lionfish already off of live foods.

FishFury

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2010
COUNTY
Hi, I've had fowler tanks for years. The only two lionfish that would eat frozen is Volitan and Fuzzy Dwarf. You first need to get them used to the tank by feeding live minnows, guppies or ghost shrimps. Once they are used to eating and seeing you up to the tank. Then feed the same food from a tong and wait for them to come to the food. This may take a few days. Once that is good, switch to frozen shrimp, krill or silversides. They will get used to seeing the food can gobble it up.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store