Feeding newly hatched Royal Whiptail

Simonas

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2008
Wirral, UK
I have 5 Royal whiptails in one of my sump chambers , one I have had about 5 years and the other 4 I bought as juvis a few months back. One of the juvis has been minding eggs last couple of days and I can see about 7 tiny babies on the glass with another 40 or so eggs left on the glass with the male

These things are tiny so I am wondering what can I put in for them to feed on? Would they take courgette or sweet potatoe if I put slices in or is that something they have to be older for ? I have algae pellets also ?

Reactions: tlindsey

Fallen_Leaves16

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2021
Is there any algae anywhere within the sump chamber? Most whiptail fry I've raised seem to spend most of their time nibbling on biofilm of some sort. They may also benefit from frozen daphnia or decapsulated brine shrimp eggs. I've also had reasonably good luck tossing in some established filter media with small amounts of mulm in a larger established tank with fry (The mulm can and will shift water parameters for the worse in smaller tanks with inadequate filtration), but this doesn't always seem to be that useful as the last couple batches of BN fry I raised completely ignored it. If possible, partially degrading leaf litter from mature tanks seem to harbor microorganisms or biofilm most BN pleco fry seem to like; I would assume whiptails would be the same. Blanched courgette might be beneficial to add; it would be rather surprising if none of the fry even attempt to eat it. If you can find any, Repashy Soilent Green is a good "paste" of sorts (comes in a dry powder) when prepared right and is my personal favorite staple for rearing pleco fry. If unavailable, the algae pellets that you have would probably be a reasonable substitute.
The biggest concern with fry is sanitation; fungus and bacterial growth, if left unattended, can wipe out an entire group of freshly-hatched fry (although this generally isn't a problem in more mature setups). All food uneaten after 12 or so hours should be removed and replaced, and any unhatched eggs with fungus should be disposed of as soon as possible.

Simonas

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2008
Wirral, UK
Cheers pal
They have all hatched now and are dotted around the chamber. The overall water capacity is about 1100 litres, theres plenty of algae where the water comes in to their chamber over the dividing sponge

I'll add food for the adults and crush a load of flake too and continue to add courgette and hope they eat it and grow

Theyre so tiny :)

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
If you have rocks covered in algae you can place them in their chamber. Some breeders place rocks in containers of water on a window sill for that purpose.
I’m with Fallen_Leaves16 Fallen_Leaves16 on the Soilent Green. Great stuff.When I used it all my fish attacked it without hesitation.

Simonas

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2008
Wirral, UK
The 50 or so fry all hatched and were all gone within about 3 days. There was no sign of any dead bodies so I am assuming that as they were in the sump chamber with the powerful return pump that they got sucked up in there and became food in the big tank

They have laid again and a few have hatched so far. I have bought a hang on little breeder plastic tank that has an air tube dripping water in so that its constantly changing water
Looks like they will just keep spawning so I will see if this helps them get slightly bigger before I return them to the tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store