feeding pbass

fishingaddict

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2006
houston, texas
I know that feeding fish a variety of foods is always the best. as of now i feed my pbass freeze dry shrimp, raw shrimp, tilapia filets, and for a snack every once in awhile feeders. but what about catfish, i dont think i have ever read about feeding catfish nuggets to fish. should it be okay?

heres some bonus pics. :)

bun1 (1).JPG

bun1 (2).JPG

bun1 (3).JPG

bun1.JPG

Danh

Piranha
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
South East
Can I have that orino.... please??????????

I have fed catfish nuggets before, but not to my pbass. I would think it would be as good for them as it was for my rtc. It is cheap... but it's kind of oily. A good rinsing helps that, but then also helps it to break up/flake, which is messy. I generally freeze baggies of shrimp for individual feedings... the frozen, to than to re-freeze of the catfish make it more mushy and flaky and even more of a mess.

Morledzep

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
where my cichla are
as far as i can tell catfish nuggets are good eats according to the pbass and big catfish here.. even the snooks don't mind.. And ya sure can't beat the price.

we're paying $4 for 8 oz of frozen krill at the LFS, that's $8 lb.
Market shrimp, depending on the size, run about $4 lb
raw tuna chunks through our meat co-op is about $2 lb
and the catfish nuggets run about $1 lb

Danh

Piranha
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
South East
$2 for raw tuna chunks? That seems pretty cheap too.

I agree you can't beat the price of the catfish...

arowpeak

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2007
Singapura land
i think just stay happy with the variety and selection of feeds you got there. very adequate and sufficient as most commonly fed to them for aquarists around the world
i would say trying something like catfish may be another staple ,but not necessay unless you have loads to dispose
i have personally tried like sardine juveniles, smelt, squid, shelled fish, salmon meat and others
i feel i would stick to the original and not create new menus for these guys
keep it simple will do
cheers!

fishingaddict

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2006
houston, texas
yea. its not very hard to feed these guys new food. they really aggressive and eat anything that hits the water, sometimes even my hand, when i clean the tank. just wonder if it safe for them.

Morledzep

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
where my cichla are
fishingaddict;1054219; said:
yea. its not very hard to feed these guys new food. they really aggressive and eat anything that hits the water, sometimes even my hand, when i clean the tank. just wonder if it safe for them.
we DO feed catfish nuggets to our pbass.. i buy 2 lbs every other week and put it in the rotation with all the other things.

only thing i've found that ALL of the fish absolutely refuse to eat is bay scallops. only the plecos and crayfish want anything to do with them.. lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store