Feeding quirks and you

luvinbluegills

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
Pgh PA
Hi fish folk,

my fish are showing me that tastes among them can be as unusual as tastes among people, and I'd enjoy hearing about some of your experiences.

My Giant Gourami is typically a trash can with fins; just toss it in. However, I've found that his favorite food is green bell peppers, and that while he goes ballistic for wild strawberries (fresh picked from the patch in my yard), the only veggie food he won't eat is market bought strawberries! He'll grab a piece, spit it out, and won't touch another!

My bichirs are good eaters, refusing almost nothing, and even taking pellets before they hit the bottom of the tank. The odd thing with them is that they will not touch fish flesh until after dark! Live fish or pieces of flesh, they won't touch it until sometime during the night. Everything else they hoover up in a heartbeat.

My dovii tends to eat everything, but for some reason prefers his food in very small pieces, like eyeball sized. He'll take bigger, but only after picking off the smaller bits first. Now, I am a firm believer that it's easier on the digestive system to eat in smaller pieces, but this surprises me with such a predatory fish that he'd think the same way. :) I found out this afternoon after coming in from doing yard work that my Wolf cichlid very much likes Wolf spiders!

My lungfish, P. annectens....well...if you've ever watched an African Lungfish eat, you know, it's just gross. The funny thing is, when he hit about 26" in length, his whole attitude toward eating changed. Before, he'd hunt for whatever he smelled. Next thing I knew, he would just start snapping at everything the instant food hit the water, until he bit the right thing. Nothing was safe, wood, rocks, heater. I had to move everything to a sump just to keep him safe. Oddly enough, I could reach in and pet him or pick him up with no problem.

So, any oddball eaters in your crew?

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Not really, unless you count my old sun cat that preferred to eat flakes and tankmates.

By the way it makes sense the do I likes bites that size, because in the wild they eat.....(drumroll)...insects.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Haha, slightly off topic but my giant gourami loves baked beans and brussel sprouts, as do i. For me there's nothing like brussel sprouts or beans to errr, get my wind up! It got me thinking, does my GG blow off too due to all the dietry fibre she has.

I'll watch her sometimes for ages just to try and catch a glimpse of a GG blow off. My missus looks at me and says "you love that fish more than me". I haven't yet told her i want to see my fish fart. Haha, that just sounds too weird.

Rhyno8

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2017
Haha, slightly off topic but my giant gourami loves baked beans and brussel sprouts, as do i. For me there's nothing like brussel sprouts or beans to errr, get my wind up! It got me thinking, does my GG blow off too due to all the dietry fibre she has.

I'll watch her sometimes for ages just to try and catch a glimpse of a GG blow off. My missus looks at me and says "you love that fish more than me". I haven't yet told her i want to see my fish fart. Haha, that just sounds too weird.
This is gold lol

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Hmmm.... not sure it’s odd but my koi will spit out pellets if I toss in snails. They go nuts over them. When I first tried tossing one in only my biggest female would eat it. She’d munch on it forever before getting it down. The others would spit them out. They collectively like worms much more.
Now they all rush and push each other out of the way for snails, Lol.
I’ve have a bad snail problem for the past two years till now. They are saving my plants:D

All my tank fish are typically happy with the usual fish foods.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island

LOL!...I can imagine a stream of fine gas bubbles ascending from the GG's bunghole.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
So a little while back I cleaned my tank one morning, and decided to go off to gym.
Upon returning from the gym I noticed that there was a little bit of an oily shimmer on the surface of the water. And lazy looking fish that didn’t seem very responsive to my approach to the tank (I was keeping African cichlids at the time). I had a girl in who stayed over the night before, and I asked if she had fed the fish anything while I was out.
“Yes of course. When I got up they seemed so hungry so I gave them some potato crisps and chocolate until they were full” she said rather proudly..

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
So a little while back I cleaned my tank one morning, and decided to go off to gym.
Upon returning from the gym I noticed that there was a little bit of an oily shimmer on the surface of the water. And lazy looking fish that didn’t seem very responsive to my approach to the tank (I was keeping African cichlids at the time). I had a girl in who stayed over the night before, and I asked if she had fed the fish anything while I was out.
“Yes of course. When I got up they seemed so hungry so I gave them some potato crisps and chocolate until they were full” she said rather proudly..
Wow did the fish live?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store