Feeding technique

merc123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2007
North GA
Just thought I'd share a feeding technique. I have 2 ropes with some african cichlids (I know, not a good mix). The cichlids are aggressive eaters and aren't allowed to eat bloodworms.

Well, to circumvent the cichlids eating all of the frozen bloodworms before the ropes I used a clear, glass bottle (corona bottle works great) and put the blood worms in it, then place the opening of the bottle at the opening of the "cave" the ropes hang out in.

So far only 2 of the cichlids have figured out how to get into the bottle, 1 has learned to look for the bloodworms but for the most part the ropes get most of the bloodworms before that 1 cichlid does. They have actually started to lounge inside the bottle, taunting the cichlids because they know they're untouchable in the bottle.

I've seen my cichlid and rope have a face off over the bottle. The rope was inside the bottle with it's head in the neck facing out. The cichlid wanted in and the rope wouldn't let it get in. The cichlid finally gave up and went away. The rope came out and went back to sleep.

Steve737

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2007
Roselle, IL
Wow, you must have little baby cichlids if they can fit in an opening of a beer bottle.

AnDr3w

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2006
Davie, FL
That is an amazing idea!

merc123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2007
North GA
The ropes are just big enough to fit in the bottle. My 11" rope is almost too big to turn around in the bottle but he makes it just fine. The funny part is watching one try to go in while the other tries to come out. Two ropes in a bottle neck doesn't quite work so well.

Razman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2007
NoVa
lol, theyre cute, great idea.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store