Feeding tricks?

Bigtunamtl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 18, 2020
Hello! I have 4 young convict cichlids in a 55 gal and I am having trouble feeding them. More specifically, the aquarium is so large that they either don't notice or barely notice when I drop frozen brine shrimp or sinking bug bite pellets. This results in most of the food going uneaten and sinking to the aquarium floor where it seems to stay. They don't really eat it afterwards. Does anyone have any tricks on how to get these little guys to actually eat/notice that I have put food in the tank?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello! I have 4 young convict cichlids in a 55 gal and I am having trouble feeding them. More specifically, the aquarium is so large that they either don't notice or barely notice when I drop frozen brine shrimp or sinking bug bite pellets. This results in most of the food going uneaten and sinking to the aquarium floor where it seems to stay. They don't really eat it afterwards. Does anyone have any tricks on how to get these little guys to actually eat/notice that I have put food in the tank?
I suggest floating pellet and flake foods.

Bigtunamtl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 18, 2020
I suggest floating pellet and flake foods.
I feel like if it isn't sinking right in front of their face, they don't notice it, so I don't feel like floating foods would work because they stay at the bottom level of the tank 98% of the time.

Bigtunamtl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 18, 2020
Maybe a pleco or some sort of large bottom feeder would do the cleanup for me so that I don't have to clean the gravel every day. Thoughts on compatability of such a fish with a breeding pair of convicts (will be just 2 convicts in there once they pair off)?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Maybe a pleco or some sort of large bottom feeder would do the cleanup for me so that I don't have to clean the gravel every day. Thoughts on compatability of such a fish with a breeding pair of convicts (will be just 2 convicts in there once they pair off)?
Maybe add a few livebearer's and not a Pleco.

Reactions: jjohnwm

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Section off the tank with a divider and make it small enough that they don’t have enough room to wander off.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store