female red devil and oscar?

cichlid tank

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2020
male red devils are super aggressive, prove me wrong. but what about the females? could it be compatible providing the fact that the red devil is smaller than the oscar, and the oscar is in the tank already? and if so, how do i sex them young? (2-4 inches)

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Ime female red devil/midas are no less territorial than males. Oscars are no match for a mature male or female amph. Easy targets really.

I will say that my female midevil is not as aggressive towards me as big male CA cichlids ive kept and seen. My last big FH would leap out of the water to attack my hand if i came close to the tank, and my current growout male is now breaching to attack my fingers at feeding time. The female will generally only attack if i move her sand or decorations around.

Reactions: cichlid tank

cichlid tank

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2020
Ime female red devil/midas are no less territorial than males. Oscars are no match for a mature male or female amph. Easy targets really.

I will say that my female midevil is not as aggressive towards me as big male CA cichlids ive kept and seen. My last big FH would leap out of the water to attack my hand if i came close to the tank, and my current growout male is now breaching to attack my fingers at feeding time. The female will generally only attack if i move her sand or decorations around.
what about a texas? or another oscar?

Red Cichlids

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2019
Sacramento
I've seen people keep all sorts of different cichlids together, but in general, most large-growing central american cichlids do not play well with others and you tend to have aggression problems or fatalities when keeping just a few fish in a medium sized (under 100 gallon) tank. Most people have better luck starting with a group of 6+ young fish at the same size and age and growing them up together. You still might have to remove a fish here or there that is getting too dominant or getting picked on.

In my opinion, you are better off with fast moving dither fish like silver dollars and tinfoil barbs mixed with cichlids. Keep a group of four or more of them and they rarely sustain much damage or cause any. The more aggressive fish will chase them a little, releasing a little steam, which often helps them be more tolerant of other tankmates.

One of my favorite tanks ever was a 360 with a big red texas-looking fish that I think was red devil x managuense, a female red devil, about 8 tinfoil barbs and a redfin gourami. That was before the days of digital cameras and no photos have survived. I raised some babies from those cichlids but none had any pearls and they all just looked like mi-devils.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Sure, female RD and Oscar may be possible, in a large enough tank and with some other fish as well. I would go for a 180+ gallon to attempt it. In anything under a 6 foot tank I think the chances are very slim. You want a large enough tank to add a couple more cichlids, the number 2 seems to hardly ever work out with cichlids, unless they are a breeding pair. There is also the issue of the fish preferring different water chemisty, but both fish have been captive bred for generations and should be adaptable to most water types if you get hobby-bred specimens.

fish gal 99

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2020
Pennsylvania
My 10” male red devil acts like a big baby he only tries to bite my husbands hand when he’s in the tank, he will mildly chase his tank mates when they are in his territory but he’s not actively fought with tank mates.

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
My 10” male red devil acts like a big baby he only tries to bite my husbands hand when he’s in the tank, he will mildly chase his tank mates when they are in his territory but he’s not actively fought with tank mates.
Red devils have individual personality but on average there aggressive with the odd one that's chilled. At 10 inch yours is still a baby, you might find one day he just snaps and goes on the rampage.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store