Feb 28, 2011
$.HAYWARD CA
yup good luck

Calihawk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
My LFS worker said that he had a pair and to prevent from death or damage:
They were divided by an egg crate divider. A flat rock slab was put on Female side propped up, angled towards Male side.
So Female laid eggs on the slab. Male on the other side spermed. Get this, he had a powerhead blowing from Male's side and it fertilized the eggs.

smitty03281964

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
Why not try and see if they can actually be together.

6 bar

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2007
Antelope Valley
My LFS worker said that he had a pair and to prevent from death or damage:
They were divided by an egg crate divider. A flat rock slab was put on Female side propped up, angled towards Male side.
So Female laid eggs on the slab. Male on the other side spermed. Get this, he had a powerhead blowing from Male's side and it fertilized the eggs.
thank you so much for the input. I do have the rock slab in there, but I see I should angle it towards the male. I will also put a powerhead in there to support cross fertilization.

I have more recent videos coming soon.

6 bar

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2007
Antelope Valley
Here is a video of the set up now in light of Calihawks thread about his LFS worker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ty8aNoIX0E
What do you think? I have increased the angle of the flat rock and I deliberately aimed a powerhead at full force so you could clealry see the power and direction of the current over the rock. I'm thinking of reducing the force of the powerhead.

But what do you guys think? Does this look good or should I make more adjustments. If so what do you suggest? I'm especially hoping some festae breeders can jump in on this question.

Currently, the 2 festae have really been hating on the pleco I have in there. It's fins are a quite torn, but i think the mutual hate for this fish seems to be sparking some bonding as they both seem to hate on it even though it's on the males side now. ( I moved it from her side so it wouldn't eat any eggs if they spawned).

Also, she has cleaned the flat rock of gravel I deliberately placed on to spark some breeding behavior.

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
I would add more decor and hiding place a few dither fish. We have ours in a 230g community tank and they have spawned 3 times since march in this setup with no fighting between the pair. You can tell when they are close to spawning the male goes a silver color and the female gets deep red. We then do a 20 percent water change add cold water and in a few days they spawn. good luck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store