Few questions

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I’m in the beginning phases of starting up my first saltwater tank, I plan for it to be a fowlr 75 gallon with 1 fuzzy dwarf lionfish.

I’ve gotten 40 pounds of dead rock, am looking into a red sea 600/900 protein skimmer, and have a 50 pound bag of pool filter sand I already had.

So, here are my questions.
1. Regarding the protein skimmer, I’m looking for one that I can move to the next tank when I’m ready to upgrade. Will having one this big cause any problems?
2. Is it possible to just run the skimmer inside the tank? I’m not ready to set up a sump so putting it in the sump is not a possibility.
3. I’m assuming it doesn’t matter if I use pool filter sand?
4. I’m not sure how to word it but I believe that the live rock has one type of bacteria which is why you typically use a sump to get the other type of bacteria, so, isn’t it possible for me to use a simple hang on back filter to get the other type of bacteria? I was planning to use a tidal 110 and stuff it full of media (filter floss I think). https://premiumaquatics.com/products/seachem-tidal-filter-110-gal-415.html
Am I right that the rock makes one type of bacteria and you need to get the other type? Also can I use the tidal to get the other type of bacteria? I never really
5. Since their is going to be only one dwarf fuzzy lion fish I’m assuming the water changes won’t have to be done but once a month. Is my thinking on point or am I wrong?
6. Anything that I’m missing or should know going into my first saltwater aquarium?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I’m in the beginning phases of starting up my first saltwater tank, I plan for it to be a fowlr 75 gallon with 1 fuzzy dwarf lionfish.

I’ve gotten 40 pounds of dead rock, am looking into a red sea 600/900 protein skimmer, and have a 50 pound bag of pool filter sand I already had.

So, here are my questions.
1. Regarding the protein skimmer, I’m looking for one that I can move to the next tank when I’m ready to upgrade. Will having one this big cause any problems?
2. Is it possible to just run the skimmer inside the tank? I’m not ready to set up a sump so putting it in the sump is not a possibility.
3. I’m assuming it doesn’t matter if I use pool filter sand?
4. I’m not sure how to word it but I believe that the live rock has one type of bacteria which is why you typically use a sump to get the other type of bacteria, so, isn’t it possible for me to use a simple hang on back filter to get the other type of bacteria? I was planning to use a tidal 110 and stuff it full of media (filter floss I think). https://premiumaquatics.com/products/seachem-tidal-filter-110-gal-415.html
Am I right that the rock makes one type of bacteria and you need to get the other type? Also can I use the tidal to get the other type of bacteria? I never really
5. Since their is going to be only one dwarf fuzzy lion fish I’m assuming the water changes won’t have to be done but once a month. Is my thinking on point or am I wrong?
6. Anything that I’m missing or should know going into my first saltwater aquarium?

Gourami Swami Gourami Swami

Reactions: Matteus

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Just realized I forgot to erase three words so ignore “I never really” in #4 at the end.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
1. big skimmer shouldn't cause any problems
2.it is possible, just might look quite unsightly
3. I would recommend aragonite to keep your pH buffered, the pfs is inert. You can use it but will be easier to keep stable with a coral based sand
4. you can use a hang on back filter, you might need to change it very often to keep it clean though. About the two types of bacteria, I have not heard this regarding the two types. I don't believe that is true. The rock will not necessarily make it's own bacteria either if it is dead rock, eventually bacteria will colonize the rock, just like any bio-media (cermic rings, lava rock, etc) in freshwater.
5. You may be right or may be wrong, testing your water can tell you. Probably more like every couple weeks would be appropriate, especially since carnivorous fish tend to be messy eaters. But again, just test your water.
6. I would recommend an auto top-off to keep your salinity stable. A couple other random pointers- use refractometer instead of hydrometer; find a good salt you like and stick with it, get a "brute" trashcan with a pump to mix your salt.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Just thought id add a bit of info on the proposed set up. Skimmer in tank will look unsightly and produce micro bubbles in the tank which in salt water will stick to everything including your fish. They make special hang on back skimmers with baffles to help stop this. Get as large a skimmer as you can afford it is the heart and soul of a good setup.
Do not use pfs! It is a silicate sand and will lead to nonstop diatom break outs. Typically while starting a salt tank with live rock the bacteria and diatoms live off of added ammonia and silicates in the water column. You typically have a large amount of silicates which allows the diatom population to grow to huge proportions not a problem until they die. When they die they turn brown that is the "brown diatom algae" that we see. If not removed it can lead to cyanobacteria outbreaks. Just use aragonite.
Live rock, get some to seed your tank. Its all the same bacteria and like all other bacteria will colonize your dead rock. There is some possibility depending on where you get the live rock that some or all of the bacteria will survive including the anaerobic bacteria deep in the rock.
The reason for sump helps keep your tank free from stuff, provide mechanical filtration, and keep micro bubbles out of your display.
Other then that or should I say along with that I agree with what Gourami Swami Gourami Swami said and an ato is going to be a huge help in keeping everything stable that is a very important factor in salt systems.

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
People use pool filter sand all the time. Back when I was growing up that's all anyone really had. I cycle it just like my rock in a big garbage can.

Do your weekly wc's, control your nutrients, & have adequate flow

Full disclosure. I run stout skimmers, big fuge, & sterilizer.

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Heads up petco has a black Friday in july sale going on 10lb bag is like 4.80 carbide aragonite. I just bought a boat load

Reactions: tlindsey

TheReefer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2019
Pennsylvania
I agree with Gourami in that you should use aragonite, that's what I used for my tank (albeit it's a reef tank) and I also use an ATO system and would recommend it. It's a bit late now but I think you should have gotten live rock.

Reactions: tlindsey

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Regrettably I must make it known that this tank is no more. Once my mother got wind of what I was planning she shut it down. It is a shame since I was looking forward to it but it just means I am going back to my original plan of waiting til I move out to do it. Thanks to everyone who responded to me, I appreciate it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store