FH fry won't eat... grr?

Druu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2007
Notre Dame, IN
So I picked up two today- one 2" popping kok and the other about 1.25" already half faded. Employees at the store said they were getting flake, NLS pellet, and feeders. They won't touch Hikari Cichlid Gold. Granted, they've only been in the tank for a few hours. At what point should I get worried? These are relatively small, and I'm a bit concerned about them getting malnourished if they skip feeding for a day or two...

killergx001

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2008
chicago
profile.myspace.com
yeah you should try bloodworm but dry bloodworm wont sink so i guess put it near the filter if you have a normal filter not sponge.my fry wont eat either but they love bloodworm or try primeshrimp if you like lol.

JPlikewoah

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2005
Mc Donalds
It's not recommended to feed fish right away when they are new, even though most people do it anyways.(some lose fish that way) Let them get used to the new tank and environment.

I say don't worry, try feeding again tomorrow.

JP

Druu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2007
Notre Dame, IN
Thanks JP. It also occurred to me that they were feeding sinking pellets and that these guys weren't accustomed to hitting the surface for food. I'll try again tomorrow and post back.

Camphilophus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2008
Howell, Michigan
your LFS told you they were feeding 1" and 2" fish feeders? They're probably lying about it eating at all. Try sinking foods. I've noticed new fish are usually afraid to swim to the top of the tank for pellets. I think they feel a lot safer on the bottom of the tank, fish tend to get nipped up more when they're free swimming.

JPlikewoah

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2005
Mc Donalds
Druu;2429876; said:
Thanks JP. It also occurred to me that they were feeding sinking pellets and that these guys weren't accustomed to hitting the surface for food. I'll try again tomorrow and post back.
Tetra color granules(red in color and sinks) are the best thing for the fry under 2", then change out the food to hikari gold in baby size.

JP

Druu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2007
Notre Dame, IN
They took some flake today, so maybe the LFS just had them on that? As for feeders, there's a large tank of feeder guppies and fry so I assumed that the FH fry were getting guppy fry. One more move for these little guys today and they'll be in the tank they get to call home.

Druu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2007
Notre Dame, IN
Both fish are taking flake, the little one took a few hikari pellets. (Smallest size- I don't remember if that would be "tiny" or "baby.")

Larger of the two has a stomach that's sunk in a bit, hopefully it'll be nice and rounded out in a week or two. I'm guessing he didn't get much food as they kept him with 5" oscars.

I'm guessing the LFS was feeding them nothing but flake since they won't hit anything else. I'll continue flake with a few pellets thrown in at the same time. Think this will get them to take pellet consistently? The small one is nice and plump, but I don't want the larger one to go on a hunger strike.

Camphilophus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2008
Howell, Michigan
Druu;2434503; said:
Both fish are taking flake, the little one took a few hikari pellets. (Smallest size- I don't remember if that would be "tiny" or "baby.")

Larger of the two has a stomach that's sunk in a bit, hopefully it'll be nice and rounded out in a week or two. I'm guessing he didn't get much food as they kept him with 5" oscars.

I'm guessing the LFS was feeding them nothing but flake since they won't hit anything else. I'll continue flake with a few pellets thrown in at the same time. Think this will get them to take pellet consistently? The small one is nice and plump, but I don't want the larger one to go on a hunger strike.
fatten them up with flake, then work on something else. I personally would throw pellets in before flake, then if they didn't eat that I'd switch to flake after 10 minutes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store