FH Hexamita? Treatment and Recovery

mbunafishkeep3r

Feeder Fish
Aug 17, 2018
Hi everyone,

Just over 2 weeks ago I bought a Thai import flowerhorn from someone who imports them regularly. He claims to give them medicated food when they come in.

The fish seemed healthy when I bought him, I had set up a 30 gallon growout tank for the fish (used cycled filters from other tanks all fish healthy in other tanks).

I got him home and he settled in ok, he was eating Hikari Cichlid gold twice a day and started to colour up well in the first week, I noticed some white stringy poop amongst the normal brown stuff.

By the end of the first week his appetite had decreased and he was chewing and spitting food which then turned into no interest in food.

I had done some research and thought he probably had hexamita, I had some api general cure on hand so decided to dose his tank.

The following day I noticed what looked like about 5 white thread like worms in the bottom of the tank, they were about an inch to an inch and a half in length and appeared to be dead. They were not like any of the white stringy poop that I have seen come out of him, I vacuumed them out of the tank and disposed of them during a water change.

I dosed the tank again 48 hours later as per the instructions on the packet then carried out another water change the following day.

4 days have passed since the second dose of general cure. The flowerhorn is showing some signs of improvement, he spent most of the time hidden in the top corner of the tank after dosing but seems to be out in the open water a bit more today, still no interest in food and has some white stringy poop.

I took a picture of what I thought might have been the worms, what do you think?

5F604AAD-DBB1-4C5A-B49D-59D3A137A5C0.jpeg

Would he still have white stringy poop if the parasites have been killed?

How can I help him on the road to recovery?

He has a great personality and is a stunning fish, we named him mojo.

I was really gutted when I found out he was sick and hope he gets better!

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated, sorry for the long post!

Mbunafishkeeper

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Hard to say but looks like some kind of round worm. Glad to that stuff out and the fish is better. Would repeat the general cure after a week.

mbunafishkeep3r

Feeder Fish
Aug 17, 2018
Hard to say but looks like some kind of round worm. Glad to that stuff out and the fish is better. Would repeat the general cure after a week.
Thanks for the fast response!

do you think I would have got it all? I wouldn’t exactly say he’s better because he’s still not eating at the moment and still has some white stringy poop

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Probably not but gotta repeat and see. The meds won’t effect the eggs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store