Fiberglass

captne1212

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2012
connecticut
What fiberglass are most people using to seal the corners and joints in a plywood aquarium?

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

CJH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2007
*Confidential*
What fiberglass are most people using to seal the corners and joints in a plywood aquarium?

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I have't done a plywood tank in a while but back when I used to I would use whatever I could get locally and cheap, which usually meant chopped strand mat. I prefered to use a 6 oz cloth when I could get it.

I've since read an article that said the extra cost of cloth is typically made up by the fact that it takes less resin to wet it out. If that's correct I think you're better off going with cloth instead of mat. I just like working with it better. There are also some who think that chopped strand mat leads to moisture penetration when strands run perpendicular to to the film surface. This leads to an area for moisture penetrations. I don't believe I ever had this problem with fiberglass mat but I can't be completely sure.

I'm home with my kids today. I'll see if I can find the the article mentioned previously and maybe one that talks about moisture penetration when using mat. Don't hold your breath - I don't get a lot of computer time when they're around.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store