Fighting Fronts in Action

ozz465

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2006
Ca
yep my tank is 2 males and 3 females , the males ocasionally chase others but just briefly . there is one female who picks on the other 2.

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
ozz465;3406577; said:
yep my tank is 2 males and 3 females , the males ocasionally chase others but just briefly . there is one female who picks on the other 2.
wow a bully female.. thats interesting... i found out just recently..few nights ago that if i turn off the frontosa light but leave the two tanks ajacent to them with the lights on...the fronts come out and all battles cease... weird... i have not seen any injury other then one with nipped fins and another with sore lips from lip locking.. but with this lighting they are getting along and healing..

ozz465

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2006
Ca
Same here , if i turn the lights off the fighting is almost gone or gone . Sucks as i want to see them , i am currently getting some moon lights to view them and reduce the fighting .

Red Devil

Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
ozz465;3406620; said:
Same here , if i turn the lights off the fighting is almost gone or gone . Sucks as i want to see them , i am currently getting some moon lights to view them and reduce the fighting .
thats a great idea...

ozz465

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2006
Ca
Yea a;; the benefits of less agression plus they look great in the blue light. one thing i found out that if i forget to feed my fronts for more than a day they will rush any non front in the tank and try to kill it .they took out a 5 in clown loach yesterday.

Red Devil

Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
ozz465;3406653; said:
Yea a;; the benefits of less agression plus they look great in the blue light. one thing i found out that if i forget to feed my fronts for more than a day they will rush any non front in the tank and try to kill it .they took out a 5 in clown loach yesterday.
thats amazing to me too... your fronts have some aggression issues..:confused:how big are they now.,mine don't bother any thing else in the tank.. i even have two tiny pleco {clown} plecos in there along with flag tails ..maybe the risk is that the clown loach and fronts are both on the bottom together.. and the clowns like to hide too.. but still i did not think a front would do that.. learn something new all the time..

ozz465

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2006
Ca
SOmehow there like i was back in my teen age days .i tried to go sunday off of food then that night i saw them moving around more vigorously , next day the loach was floating with its belly gone .

the males are 9+ in and the females 5+ in

Red Devil

Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
ozz465;3406676; said:
SOmehow there like i was back in my teen age days .i tried to go sunday off of food then that night i saw them moving around more vigorously , next day the loach was floating with its belly gone .

the males are 9+ in and the females 5+ in
you should be able to go off of food every other day... with no problem.. i someone in your tank is one aggressive front with a short fuse..... what a toughie... i really think it happened because the loach was getting in the way of his breeding plans...in one of those nooks and crannies the frontosa wanted to use... poor loach...

Marius

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Even if you have females, I would strongly disagree to hybridization. For me makes more sense to get more Kigomas, or Burundis, and to avoid hybrids ...that's if you plan to breed them anyway.

Vent your Burundis and check to see if they are all males or not.

Red Devil

Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
Marius;3408373; said:
Even if you have females, I would strongly disagree to hybridization. For me makes more sense to get more Kigomas, or Burundis, and to avoid hybrids ...that's if you plan to breed them anyway.

Vent your Burundis and check to see if they are all males or not.
There was an article here submitted by davo where they actually thought the burundi and kigomas could be bred... i was amazed at this article.. i will try to find it just to show it to you... but no i never want to mix my fronts... i will vent them.. just hate stressing them out to take them out and look... but i will... i have to ...otherwise i will never know.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store